• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 lug 2-piece wheel to 6 lug hub adapter

FSBruva

And everytime he gets close to making them, someone pipes in that they "just saw a place that had a million" A3 rims, and they just "need to find that phone number."

It's been a topic of discussion since I joined a year ago, I think....

Matt

yorkgulch

5 ton wheels and control arms

I would be interested in the 5 ton wheels with 6 lug centers. Steel is probably the only choice if you are using steel 5 ton rims. Bolt togethers rather than locking rings would be great but might also add to price. USa6x6, Stazworks, and Stockton all make wider rims but they start at about $200-$300 and don't look very original and also are not DOT approved. I don't know if the 5 ton rims are DOT either.
On a similar train of thought will the 5 ton rear axle control arms and long leaf bolt up to a deuce axle? The idea is to get more space between axles for bigger tires. Of course then you need different length drive shafts and bed clearance. The other option is swaping all or part of the 5 ton axles in. Do they weigh alot more? Want to stay under CDL!

yeager1

If you have access to 10 lug wheels you could get a weld on steel adaptor made by a wheel shop that would cover the 10 lugs (similar in size to the bolt ons above) and have the 6 lugs already cut in them. Just a guess, but they would probably run about $100 or so a wheel (probably less). It would be a lot cheaper and stronger then the bolt on ones, and if you smothed down the welds, you could easily make it look original and keep the military look.

40grit

Spicer and I had talked about using a 1/2 or 3/4" plate between the rim halves, with the bolts that hold the rims together holding the insert in, then have that plate water-jetted with the rockwell 6 lug pattern and the outer "beadlock pattern", a little clearance radius of the 10 bolt pattern ( duece pattern just barely intrudes into 5 ton pattern, say like 1/2" or so) on both halves is needed to clear the lug nuts, We had talked about indexing the pattern between the 10 lug so you could still use the rims on a 5 ton later if needed, other wise you could lathe the 5 ton mounting surface off the outer half. The original 5 ton mounting surface could now be a "rockring" for the duece lug nuts, but when I had the rims Spicer's got, it was going to be like $200 a rim to water-jet out the pattern then have them blanchard ground, then you just have to figure out the sealing, either RTV or cut an o-ring groove in both sides of the adapter center to match the 5 ton rims, then bolt them together and bolt them on the truck, this was using the "better' 5 ton rims that have twice the number of bolts(20), there are some that look like they are missing every other bolt...those aren't the "preferred" rims to start with, or at least that's what I was told but the guy I got my rockwells and 5 ton combat rims from...
so you would end up with stock 20 x 10 combat rims that were 1/2 or 3/4" wider and backspaced roughly 2 " less than they were stock, moving the tires out a little...

let me find the pics...

M1075

Sounds like a lot of effort to make it work. Why not just use custom 2 piece rims? I have one new set left (mounted with 46" XML tires) if anybody wants them. $395 each

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple of other thoughts but by saying them I'll date myself. Has anyone contacted McCord Terra Tire in Monticello IN? They were a premier source of steel wheels when I was building monster trucks in the 80s. Another thought is Midwest Wheel in OH if they are still in business. Roger Wysong used to build the aluminum wheels for all the popular moster trucks including the Bob Chandler fleet. I had 15x13 wheels made for a Chevy pickup that had M715 axles in it. McCord made the wheels with plate centers for $67.75 a wheel (again back in 87 or 88).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks