• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of shelter is this?

Rubicon51

I found this on GL it looks like a s250 but it is longer. This is 102" long an s250 is 86" long. I'm thinking about maybe getting one of these to make a camper out of. What is on the front of the shelter, looks like a small ac unit and something else next to the ac with supports holding it up. And on the back of the shelter by the door what is the push out....... vent???????????? After you get this gutted it might make a good hunting camper. I've searched and all I can find info on is the s250/280. What is this and what was it designed to fit in? Do you think it would make a good camper in the back of a bobbed deuce?

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a S-250 to me. Also ran a Google search on the AN/TTC-48 set and it came back as being mounted in an S-250.

Are you sure the S-250 is supposed to be 86" long? That's only 7 foot 2 inches. The other measurement of 102" is 8 foot 6 inches. Probably fit a HMMWV or M1028 a little more completely, but a little more room. Perhaps an updated version of the S-250?

Rubicon51

I just found more info on it. It's labeled as an S250G.
Yea I googled that same info, didn't come up with much.
Now see if I can find anything on S250G. I'm sure of the dimensions, got it right off of the tag of a S250, and this S250G.

Rubicon51

Here are some pics of the dimension plates off of an s250 and I think that bigger one is an s250g. I'm not really sure. Looking at the pics of the two shelters I can't really tell them apart. But acorrding to these tags the s250 18" longer. There are about six pics on each link.

Last edited by a moderator:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It goes in the back of a HMMWV. It's part of the MSRT system. (Think early 2000's car cell phone technology) Sad thing is they still use it...

LanceRobson

I'll double check tonight but, I seem to remember the "G" designator as having to to with the type of electrical shielding.

The Humdinger shelters are fully rectangular as the hummer has no protruding wheel wells. The bed is also shorter than 8'.

The S-250 was made to fit in M880 series stuff and the bed is 8"' at floor level but shorter at the lip at the top of the bed sides.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything military or civilian with a 9' bed.

Lance

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

LanceRobson

Some HMMWV shelters "extend" out the back of the bed. Thats why you see some tailgates with a "step" and extended trailights..

Mark, that had to do some interesting things for cross country mobility with the CG so far to the rear. Any idea if they caused any problems or restrictions? I know some to the hummer shelter trucks had such stiff suspensions that the had safety restrictions on speed and terrain when they were empty.

Lance

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We put SENs and LENs on top of ridge lines, SINCGARS retrans sites on sides of mountains... Alot of it comes down to the individual vehicle operator. He knows his truck, how it handles and performs. The shelters werent overly heavy, most of the time there is just a few radios in them, the AC for the operator, a normal everyday tuffbook laptop, and the crash axe mounted to the door. (get out of your mind the filled to the brim rat rigs from the 1960-70's...) Yes there are exceptions to every rule, but the ones I saw that operated the BDE to DIV and BN to BDE/BN commo was pretty simple with SINCGARS and MSRT and eventually NTDR radio. The 3k and 5K gennys (not the same as the MEP/TQG units are familiar with on trailers) for the trucks are mounted against the B Pillar, so that helped alot with CG problems. I never saw a flipped shelter in my time.. 98% of it is the operator knowing his vehicle and how it acts. 2% may be luck. :)

Reactions: 98G

Rubicon51

Has anyone made a camper out of one of these? I was planning to find a CBC to convert two a weekend camper and put it in the back of a bobbed deuce. But this s250g is not very far away from me and at 8.5 ft it is only 6" shorter than a cbc, but a few inches wider. Are they insulated? What do you think cbc or s250g? It seems that the s250g already has an ac unit in it and if its insulated that would be good also. The s250g is aluminum and the cbc is fiberglass. Can everything be gutted out of a s250g without a problem? Still trying to figure out what is mounted on the front of the s250g. I know the small one looks like an ac unit, but one is the big unit that has the extra support? Is it also an ac unit, surely they did not generate that much heat that they had two have two ac units. If so why, a small unit and a big unit why not just go with one big ac unit? from what i've seen on other s250's there is also another small ac unit on the other side, can't tell on this one. This doesn't look like the type that went in the back of a HMMWV, its just like the regular s250 just longer and with something extra on the front.

Rubicon51

That's what i'm talking about, your buddy did a good job. I think that this one on gl now will make a good camper, and it is a bit longer than your buddies.

Thanks

KsM715

Rubicon, Have you had a chance to go preview it? If you havent gotten your other questions answerd I might be of some help. On the front in the center that would be an AC unit. The small one next to it I dont know what that is sorry, and on the back, left of the door, the panel that looks hinged and swings out is where the various power cable connections go. theres vents built right into the door itself. I just won one of the shelters at Ft Riley, the ones with the panther painted on the side. I got it for $430 before fees and taxes, just a reference for you. but the ones at Riley are completely empty just a few small racks on the wall and such and no ac unit.

Jeff

Attachments

KsM715

As another reference point, the 2 CBC's at Riley on the same sale went for $710 and $830. With the CBC youll have more interior room, but the S250 is something like inch and half rigid foam with aluminum skin on both sides. both quiet and insulated and the cbc is not. I slept in our S250 radio maint shelter when we went to NTC and you couldnt hear the AC unit hum or the generators outside.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Rubicon, Have you had a chance to go preview it? If you havent gotten your other questions answerd I might be of some help. On the front in the center that would be an AC unit. The small one next to it I dont know what that is sorry, and on the back, left of the door, the panel that looks hinged and swings out is where the various power cable connections go. theres vents built right into the door itself. I just won one of the shelters at Ft Riley, the ones with the panther painted on the side. I got it for $430 before fees and taxes, just a reference for you. but the ones at Riley are completely empty just a few small racks on the wall and such and no ac unit.

Jeff
I got one of those too $421 (7707) for my M885. Prices really went up. I got one out there 10yr ago for $250 and it was a complete RATT rig, it had everything still in it except for the KY gear!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks