• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy in NC, already on my 2nd deuce

DeuceNewb

Hello everybody, my name is Mike, i'm a 21 year old college student in Wilmington North Carolina. I just bought my 2nd deuce this past weekend (although i had to sell my first a few months ago)

I've been checking out this site for some time and figured it was finally time i joined.
My first truck was a 1972 M35a2 that i bought in the beginning of the summer back when i was 20. It had the winch on the front, 66K miles and i thought it just looked sweet. I had always wanted one since i was a kid. Finally one came up near home and I bought it. I have to say, the first ride in it without the power steering got me in a tight spot trying to turn around. We had this for a few months before my dad made me sell it. Reasons were we knew nothing about diesels, this truck was soooo huge, and out first oil change cost us about $100, with the oil that came out being blacker than night and almost sludge like. After talking to the P.o. we learned that he never changed the oil in the year he had it, and looking online lead us to believe that 66K miles was a lot for one of these. The other reason was because i still owed my dad some money so what he wanted had to be followed.
Fast forward to this weekend, finally found another and convinced him to let me get it. After all, he is my landlord and i can't make him mad. I payed for this one myself and can't wait to enjoy it.
She's a 1972 m109 with 15K miles, 375hrs, recent repaint and released from camp lejune october 08. She makes my old one look crappy, and this one was less money. It's non turbo without a winch, but roads around here are all flat and there's a local guy thats removing his winch.

I plan to cruise around in this, drive it to school every now and then, and take it out on the beach to party in and camp in. I figure a kegerator and a bar will fit, and i can put a cot and a hammock in it as well. My dad wants to make it into more of an Rv type setup, but we'll see.

here is my first one and me

and my new one

I've got to get the oil and i guess fuel filters changed and then i'm good to go for some beach fun :)

and on that note, where is a good place online to get the filters at a good price?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both are sweet rides! Welcome to the site, and let me be the first to say: "Have you used the search function?":-D

LibertyDeuce

Mike
The first one you had is a beauty, but the second one is, well judging form my avatar, is CHOICE! You're going to love the M109A3 Shop Van and welcome aboard!!!
:-D

jbird3898

i hear u with the old man. also 21 i had to hide mine from my parents for almost 2 months and decided to bring it over to the house on xmas day. haha figured they wouldnt yell at me to much if the fam. was thier. i keep it at my shop so they never have to look at it. good luck

FrankUSMC

I am down the road from you in Newport, NC. I saw the M109 for sell also, but I already have one so, I am very happy it went to a good home. You got it at a very good price!!! You did good.
Take care.
Oe of the few, Frank USMC RET

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome.. There are An awful lot of very knowledgeable folks on this site ( Bless you all.) All willing to help. But wear out the search feature here. The next time I get down n to my brothers at Wrightsville Beach I`ll look you up. Would like to meet Frank in Newport. Not that far away .

stampy

Welcome to the 109 club man! also glad to have another NC Boy here on SS. If you are ever heading north on I-85 I am just a couple of miles off it in Henderson( near the Va line not the mountains):-D Thumbs up on your ride!

DeuceNewb

yeh that red jeep is feeling mighty small now....at least it's got a 10K winch to help ease the pain :)
I've used the search feature quite a bit, and I LOVE how when i went to start a new thread for something I couldn't find, a little box popped up with related topics and there was the answer i was looking for!

all the people on here seem like really smart and nice people, i like that alot. There's no flaming somebody because they didn't know something that others did, you guys seem all about educating and helping out.

Any time any of you come down to the beach let me know we can have some fun. I should have my plate and insurance taken care of by the weekend, followed by oil change, then it's off to the beach to do some camping, and also to a local 4x4 spot to see if it can make it up a sand dune!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site! Good to see another young guy in the hobby.

Let me be the first to invite you to the Steel Soldiers Ga Rally in 2009. Oct. 22-25 at Union Point, Ga.

Here is what we pulled off last year:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=26931

DeuceNewb

uwharrie? wow. I've been through there many many times with my jeeps and pickup, but a deuce without power steering being as wide as it is would be a real challenge.
and there's always the beach to drive on and camp on. maybe we should start trying to plan an NC rally....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks