• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft tugs / transports

Hey guys,

I am looking for info on aircraft tugs. Both the Ford and Dodge pickup style ones, and the newer ones that are more of a "cart". Reason I am looking at them is to use them for snow removal on parking lots, pushing a blade or a push box.

The Ford/Dodge truck style ones:
1. Are they 4x4?
2. What is the gearing on them?
3. What are they worth? $$

The "Cart" looking ones- I'll describe them as well as I can, if you can tell me a model or nomenclature it would be great.
- I think they are hydro drive
- I think they are 4 wheel steer
- I think they are 4 wheel drive

1. Am I right in thier capabilities?
2. What are they worth? $$
3. What models are better then others?

Thanks guys!

Here is a pic of a cart style one, looking for a military version I could pick up somewhere:

Attachments

Thanks for the link. I will try a search... duh I forgot to search!

Cool site by the way, I got off track and spent the last few minutes looking at dueces :)

tamangel

I did a search and didn't find much else on Tugs, at least on SS.. maybe others can post info/pic's on this thread to make it a 'tug-one stop-shop' location.. :)

Cool site by the way, I got off track and spent the last few minutes looking at dueces :)
careful...

Mike

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A really common model being surplused right now is the PSI Mobile Products version of the MB-2. They are 4x4 and 4 wheel steer, with a Perkins 4 cyl turbo diesel. These were bought by uncle in 1989-90. They come up on Government Liquidation all the time. I have a really nice one for sale at $3500. The are 15 mph top speed. Google "PSI Mobile Products" to see a pic. They are rated to move a 100,000 lb aircraft. The Dodge, Chevy and Ford versions are 2 WD, and are also being surplused right now.

randyscycle

Like mentioned above, most I've had any experience with have been really slooooooow. They are geared very low.

I've only dealt with the older stuff "cart type" and they were 2WD and usually gas powered. 300 6 cylinder Fords mostly. They would push or pull pretty much anything, just not quickly!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, no picture here, but mine is identical. On GL, they go for 2K up to 6K. I see them at Barstow often and they are cheaper there. A tug like you posted a picture of has huge value, upwards of 40K. Those are still being used for pushbacks. One possible drawback of the PSI tug in plowing snow (which I know nothing about), the axles are "open", meaning if traction is lost on one tire on each axle, you are stuck. The tug is heavy, 14,000 lbs. The engine is easy to get parts for, it powers zillions of forklifts and loader/backhoes.

tamangel

UNITED TRACTOR ARMY MILITARY VEHICLE 1972 MODEL G-40 1/2
ebay item # 250362570499
auction ended no sale/no bids/ start price $1000.00 USD
United Tractor Model G-40-C. Federal # 3930181-3217. US DAS 40070C 4251 . US Army Model MHE217. Delivered 2-72.

Overall length: 110 inches. Height: 58 inches Weight 5000 lbs 6 cyl as V automatic transmission.

All lights intact. Large alternator. Propane. Dual rear wheels. Dual snow tires on rear. Good tread on 6 tires. Shows 185 hours on working gauge.

STARTS RIGHT UP. RUNS, DRIVES & STOPS GREAT. I bought this in FL to move my antique cars & do work around our farm a few months ago, but changed my mind.

No title. Bill of sale only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...agename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1485

no connection w/ seller/info only..

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

NC-8A Power Cart GPU T-33 F-86 P-51 B-25 Corsair A-4 1/2

not a tug, but close to the purpose for this thread... disregard '1/2' in post title..no other..

ebay item # 290290756373
auction ended/reserve not met/one bid $1000.00 USD

NC-8A Power Cart GPU T-33 F-86 P-51 B-25 Corsair A-4
This unit was recently retired, engine runs and powers up, cables in rear and four new tires.
NC-8A Mobile Electric Power Plant (MEPP) The NC-8A (fig. 9-16) is a four-wheel, electrically propelled, front-wheel steering, rear-wheel drive, four-cylinder, liquid-cooled, diesel-engine-powered service unit. It provides 115/200-volt, 3-phase, 400-hertz ac and 28 volts of dc electrical power for starting, servicing, and maintenance of rotary and fixed-wing aircraft. The ac and dc power cables are located and stored on spring-loaded reels in a compartment in the rear of the vehicle. All propulsion and electrical controls are located on two panels in the driver's compartment. This MEPP is used primarily on shore stations, but it can also be operated aboard ship.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...agename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1485

lots more electrical/panel shots on link...
No connection w/ seller/info only

Mike

Attachments

rattlecan6104

navy uses an aircraft tug known as the buddha for towing p-3's. It has an enclosed cab, heater, massive turbo diesel, 4x4 4 wheel steering, and somewhere around 15 gears. When the base was snowed in, prowler squadrons had to use the buddhas to tow their jets in the snow, these jets weigh around 56,000 pounds, and the buddhas have no problem towing them, the tires are abot 4 ft tall and about 8 inches wide, sorry I cant find pics of them, and later I will try to get the actual name of them.

tamangel

couldn't find any other pics at the moment...Maybe someone else can locate some good 'action' shots:

...from this book:

Mike

rattlecan, was this the type (lower left on page pic) of Buda engined rig or maybe its predecessor?

Attachments

Last edited:

Swint

Some info on the Dodge pickup versions

5.9 Cummins 6bt turbo non intercooled
727TF atuo transmission (junk for anything other than a stock engine)
2wd
D70 rear axle welded to the frame (no rear suspension)
7.17 gears
top speed of about 30mph running WOT (wide open throttle) on the factory 2750rpm governor (recommended RPM for best performance/fuel mileage is 1600-1800rpm)
Probably idled for extended periods of time. Read a Cummins manual, this is a BIG no no because it causes cylinder wash.

On a side note, my neighbor used to have one, he installed a set of 3.55 gears in it, cranked up the pump, and did some other cheap performance mods and that thing was LOADS of fun except for the no suspension part.

Swint

The 5.9 Cummins is a great motor. Depending on wether it is a 12 valve or 24 valve and what kind of IP it has they can be made to do some stupid stuff. Check out my other play toy.
The tugs are 12v with a VE pump, it's the same exact engine that came in 1st gen (89-93) Dodge's. The VE can be turned up by turning the fuel screw (usually adds 15-20hp BEWARE OF RUNAWAY!!), rotating the fuel pin (usually 10-15hp), and by advancing the timing (usually good for 75+hp and improves fuel mileage) I maxed out the pump on the Dodge in my sig and it went from 160hp/400tq up to just shy of 250hp/600tq and I've been told that a free flowing intake and exhaust is good for another 15-20hp.

tamangel

1985/1986 jeep cj-10a. Military aircraft tug

ebay item # 370152294105
auction ended 8/09 no sale/no bids/start price $2900.00 USD

1985/1986 JEEP CJ-10A. MILITARY AIRCRAFT TUG.14,XXX MILES ONLY 44XX HOURS. 6 CYL INLINE NISSIAN DIESEL ENGINE- 3 SPEED AUTO.
2 WHEEL DRIVE- TRANSFER CASE IS LOCKED IN LOW RANGE ( NO SHIFT FORK WAS INSTALLED. DANA 70 4.88 DUAL WHEEL REAR AXLE. DANA 44
FRONT AXLE ( DEAD-STRAIGHT TUBE) ONLY 2188 KNOWN TO BE MANUFACTURED. EASY TO CONVERT TO 4 WHEEL DRIVE , BY ADDING
SHIFTING FORK AND AXLE ( OR AXLES). BUILT FOR U.S. MILITARY ON A CHOPPED WAGONEER FRAME.
1200 LB COUNTER WEIGHT WELDED OVER REAR AXLE. RATED TO PULL 40,000 LBS ON LEVEL GROUND
ONLY JEEP EVER PRODUCED WITH HEADLIGHTS NOT IN THE GRILL- 7 SLAT MILITARY GRILL. CIVILIAN HAS 5.
I FOUND A 2ND ONE WITH AIR BRAKES , SO I AM SELLING THIS ONE. RUNS LIKE A TOP. BRAKES EXCELLENT. IF BUYER HAS PLANS ON RE-POWERING , I MAY HAVE A WAGONEER FRAME AND AXLES AVAILABLE TO TRADE FOR TUGS 60 HP DIESEL.
MISSING PASSENGER DOOR HINGE AND PASSENGER DOOR WINDOW CRANK. METAL IN EXCELLENT SHAPE ALL ROUND.
TRAILER SHOWN NOT INCLUDED.

no connection w/seller/info only

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

Stewart & Stevenson Tug

ebay auction item # 140300556542
ended 19 Feb 2009
Sold $9200.00 USD w/ 42 bids
location Boise, ID, United States

1981 STEWART&STEVENSON AIRCRAFT VEHICLE
VEHICLE FOR SALE FROM BLM
LICENSE NO: I259304
BODY TYPE: AIRCRAFT SUPPORT VEHICLE
MFG: STEWART&STEVENSON
MFG YEAR: 1981
MODEL: MB2 TOW 81L413
VIN: 1740010821340
MILES/HOURS: 2,777
INFORMATION: GVWR: shipping wt. 53,740; CYL 4; CID 424; diesel; Allison semi-automatic trans; ext. color green; int. color black; 7568.4 hours
ITEMS NOTED: rust, needs paint; battery needs replaced; headliner loose; seats torn, cab needs cleaned; some small oil and hydraulic leaks; transmission seal leaks; needs wiper blades; unit runs good but looks rough;

no connection/info only

Mike

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks