• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 V starter motor for 3K Generator

bob130ab

Has anyone had a 24 V starter rewired/rebuilt to operate with a 12 v battery?
Is there an automotive or industrial 12 v starter that will bolt up on these Gen Sets?

Bob Martin
Brooklet, GA

m139h2otruck

There are a number of sites on the Internet dealing with these little engines used in ultra-lite aircraft. I read on one, that there is a Mazda starter that with a little work will fit this engine.

I used the 24 volt unit and just jump it off a truck if it's home or two batteries in series. Doesn't take much to spin these engines. Or buy a 24 volt single battery like the ones used on the 5 kw gen sets.

You may be able to have some auto electric supply/re-builder re wire the 24 volt unit to work on 12 volts. There is a seller on E-bay that sells the starters for ablut $75-80, but they are listed under the 5 and 10 kw gen sets. Same starter, just need to "re-clock" the nose.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What model 3K generator are you talking about?

bob130ab

12 V starter motor for 3K generator

Thanks Guys
I'll check into this when I have some extra time.
I'm leaving Wednesday for Houston, TX to visit my son, former co-workers & former Air Force Reserve members that I served with. I'll be gone a couple of weeks.

Bob Martin
Brooklet, GA

ida34

If the genset was set up to charge the battery then you would need to charge the battery with a battery charger. The 24 volt battery for them is the 4hn. It is the size of a 51 group battery but has 12 cells for 24 volts. I got a couple dry off ebay for my gensets. If you already had a 24 volt starter then this might be a cheaper route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks