• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bigger engine, and different tranny in deuce?

M35guy

just wondering, has anyone tried to put a different tranny like a 10 spd, and a bigger engine, like a Cat 3408 in a deuce? just wondering, cause I want to get one, put this kind of engine in, change the axles to something more common, instead of a 6wd, I only really want rear wheels to be drive wheels, which with a different tranny, I'm sure would be simpler, and for it to go a good bit faster than 55mph. now, I know I'll probably have to put a different speedometer in, to allow it to accurately tell me what my speed is, and I'll have to put a few other minor upgrades in too, but I'm not too scared of the mechanical stuff.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Turn up the fuel a little (lots more power), use the high and low when driving (10 speeds), taller tires and youve got 65mph. Easy as pie!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A gut named spicergear did it. It looked fast! But i'm with djfreema. Turn up the fuel rate, install some 11.00-20's and burn up the highway.

Desert Rat

Yep, That's what Ken and I are looking to do with 'Storm (my truck). I'm trying to convice Ken these trucks are capable of sustaining speeds of over 45 m.p.h.. ;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of sustaining speeds, Even with 900x20 tires I ran 60 all the way to Lake City a few weeks ago, 55 to 60 all the way back towing the wrecker.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah, she was wound up tight for sure. I didn't like running it that high but time was of the essence!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HUMMMMM i think i'll set drats govener to 2000 rpm's when he isn't looking!! That will slow him down.

M35guy

Ok, cool, so this IS possible from what I can gather. I just cant logically justify 6x6 drive, if its gonna be an ON road truck. I'd rather just drive it as a regular 4x6 instead, and use the front as a steering only axle.

Trango

I just drove the turbo 3208 around today. Fast, but the 5 speed I put behind it is a disservice to the engine. I am moving up to a 10 speed soon.... well, I need to purchase the tranny yet, but it's all lined up. I need some bigger tires to fill up the space between the rear tandems, and I'll be cruising solidly at 70 going about 2300 or so, I mean, that's back of the envelope, just guessing at a top speed. Once I do all that stuff, I will have a reliable highway cruiser, but not until that stuff happens. I've probably spent, say, $4000 on the deuce already, and I'm close to dropping another $2500 on tires and this 10 speed. All in all, for about $10k investment on a truck that does a poorer and more uncomfortable job of running down the road than your random medium duty truck. But, I love it because it's 6x6, which I occasionally use, it has the uber low range for hauling stuff up and down STEEP hills, and it just plain is cool.

Seriously, what's your end goal? If it is to try to shoehorn a big ass, heavy engine into a deuce, along with a big huge 30"+ tranny, you are going to be really REALLY pressed for space. Already, my exhaust is a hair away from the firewall, and I am running a 3208.

If you want alot of power with the cool factor of a deuce, my opinion is to work on a pretty hot rodded smallish diesel, along with a 10 speed or baby 13 or something, but keep the OAL down to a minimim, along with the weight.

Put a tape on some of the components you want to fit in there. A 3408 just sounds pretty huge.

Hope this helps
Bob

NEIOWA

In late 90s Sam rebuilt a few thousands M35s with CAT 3116 (and Allison auto) as the M35A3. Nice trucks.

Pappa-G

Ok, cool, so this IS possible
Possible Oh heck yes. Just extend the frame a good 10" foward of the firewall get a solid axel set up out of an old dump truck and design a steering set up. Put in the engine of choice and wire it up be sure to get some tape and wire nuts. Put in a bigass 18spd tranny out of a Western Star, Pitch the transfer case just have a custom drive shaft made by the custom radiator guy. Get some old irragation pipe for exaust. And duct tape -plenty of that.
Some one help me out here what am I missing????

M35guy

yep, work truck/recreation rig for camping. maybe I'll go for a slightly smaller engine, I really dont feel like making chassis modifications to fit it in there.

bomar76

Hell, just put a gas turbine in it and be done with it.
Yank the Multifuel, put the gas turbine in the bed, attach a transit bus tranny, use old stove pipe for the exhaust, find an old screen door for an intake grate.
Make it front wheel drive only while you are at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks