• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lot of Jeep questions

citizensoldier

A friend on here has a WWII jeep. Here is what the main data plate says from what I can make out.
It is a Ford data plate and not brass
It has these numbers stamped in it.
11-5 48

It has another stamped alluminum plate on the middle of the dash
It is stamped
20-10-48

The frame is a MB 340380
The motor MB 155516
The head is a Ford script 6050

So can anyone enlighten me on all the meanings.. Does this mean it was put together from three jeep in 1948? they didnt make tubs in 1948 did they?

Tackettr

I would check on www.g503.com Don't get me wrong, SS is a great website but G503 seem to be geared more to WWII Jeeps. Kinda sounds like an early production Ford GPW on An MB Frame, but then again it could be tossed salad. I know 48 isn't a production year for the GPW. Good Luck.:-D

citizensoldier

He tried posting on that site and has had no responses. Was it common practice to throw a jeep together after the war and then just tag it the year they did this? I will take my camera over and get some pictures to help with this. So I am trying the SS guys..lol..:-D

txdodge43man

From what I know about WWII jeeps a lot of jeeps after the war were rebuilt and a lot of times they would take three or more jeeps to make one. What you have there is a jeep that went throught depot rebuild in 1948. it is comon to see a ford tub on willis frame and motor. Im not sure when production of the WWII jeep stop but I belive 1945 was the last year.

ida34

The did have mix master jeeps with different stuff. I do know that some jeeps ended up registered by the year they were surplused and not the actual year of manufacturer. And while I am at it, why are you not posting pictures?

Todd Haley

looks like the frame was made around the end of may,the first part of june 1944. the alum. tag in the center of the dash should be a rebuild tag,possibly reconditioned in Ger. or Japan. The info on the Ford tag does not sound factory,maybe restamped at rebuild depot?
At a rebuild depot they would have stripped the entire vehicle, all sevicable parts were sorted and the a frame would have been fitted with the apropriate parts so yes, a jeep could have been reassembled from three,four,or many more to make a complete vehicle:-D
Please post some pics of all tags when your Batteries warm up!

mikes47jeep

with the ford data plates on the dash and the ford engine I'm betting its a 1943, it's very easy to misread the worn data tag as 1946, 1948, or 1949

ford quit production in 45 so my offical estimation is 1943

more photos of the whole jeep would help

Mike

mikes47jeep

The GPW was made from 1942–1945,

It’s defiantly a GPW tub because it had the round indentation for the tool box latches, willys had a square indentation

And it’s defiantly a GPW frame because the front cross member under the radiator is a channel, on the willys they were pipe

It looks like you have 4 good combat rims on it too

Keep us posted,

Mike

phantomjeep

more pic's

here are more pic's from tags and round MB cross member ,the angle iron is from the capstan winch . transfer case is F , tire mount is F , black-out lights F .

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks