• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found this picture from my travels

uoa

Just sharing... wasn't into MV's when I took the picture, this is the only one I have. It is sitting at an abandoned mine in Alaska, probably 90 miles or more from the nearest road. The mine shut down in the 1970's. The other pictures are some other equipment laying around.

PS: We got there on a helicopter, I think a recovery is out... It's also sitting in a National Park.

Bonus points to anyone who can Identify the Park and the name of the Mine.

Attachments

tamangel

must have been some sort of a road at some time. I wouldn't think they 'walked' those track layers 90 miles.. Depending on the 'historic' aspect of this location, NPS (National Park Service) maybe be up for someone removing that stuff. Although the other concern they might have would be resource damage due to a new 'road' being attempted to get to the location..

Got Chinook?

Mike

any ID on the truck and tracks..?

uoa

must have been some sort of a road at some time. I wouldn't think they 'walked' those track layers 90 miles.. Depending on the 'historic' aspect of this location, NPS (National Park Service) maybe be up for someone removing that stuff. Although the other concern they might have would be resource damage due to a new 'road' being attempted to get to the location..

Got Chinook?

Mike

any ID on the truck and tracks..?
The area is considered a historical site, All the heavy equipment was brought in in the winter, there are at least 4 major river crossings. There is still a trail, but the last 20-30 miles are way overgrown, the first 10-20 miles sees steady use. I may have been a bit off on my distance, I think it is more like 60-70 miles from the road.

Last edited:

uoa

Are the guys in the last picture wearing bullard wildfire helmets?:?:
Yep, I'm in the truck... getting the ticket!:-D

I'm on a wildland firefighting helitack crew based out of the Park, we were doing some prescribed burning around the mine.

Here are a couple more pictures, the first is the edge of a little 20K acre fire. The second is something that has never been seen before... its a fire between the McKinley River and the Alaska Range. There has never been a fire on the north side of the range that close to the range, they are usually at least 80 miles farther north. In the background of that last picture is one of Denali's spur ridges.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a nice CCKW! With the original wood bed. Someone should try to drive it out, in a "Kee Bird B-29 Bomber Greenland" style recovery . . .

dburt

Sure would like to have that little John Deere crawler! A person might even be able to sell it for the cost of flying it out on the end of a heavy line. Why is the good stuff always so far away??

JeepMan

The orange dozer would be capable of opening the road back up with the JD following on the CCKW bed that would also hold the fuel supply. Just gotta keep that "cop" away when you do the move !!!

todds112

It's cool to find stuff like that. I found a Studebaker Weasle up in the Teton National Forest at an old ranch. It's just the tub lying upside down, pretty ate up with rust. I did find the tracks nearby coiled up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks