• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Force Gun Trucks

Crash_AF

The other post about Vietnam Gun trucks had mention (I believe by SasquatchSanta) of a deuce gun truck called 'No Slack' operated by one of the Air Force Civil Engineers RED HORSE units.

Does anyone have further information about this truck? How it was marked, which unit had it, etc?

Thanks,
Joe

shooter1

USAF Gun Trucks /Red Horse/CE/SPS

The guntruck in Vietnam eara was 554 RHS sg (Hangmen and Hangmen 11),the 823rd Red Horse had M2 and M60 mounted, but I have not seen any named trucks pictures Are on REDHORSE Association web Thanks
I would like to find M-37 or Dodge 6-pac pictures of AP/SP Done up

GruntMP

Shooter 1

I spent several nights looking through the pics on the Vietnam Security Police Association site and found 1, I say again 1, pic of an M37! It had that yellowed, been in a hot humid climate (Vietnam?) look to it, so it was blurry. The truck had a .50 on the back and the lads were qualifying with it at the range on Dong Ha AFB in '67

SasquatchSanta

Crach_AF Wrote:

The other post about Vietnam Gun trucks had mention (I believe by SasquatchSanta) of a deuce gun truck called 'No Slack' operated by one of the Air Force Civil Engineers RED HORSE units.

Does anyone have further information about this truck? How it was marked, which unit had it, etc?
It's been a long time --- over 40 years and old memories can play tricks on a man but it was during Tet of 68. The 25th Infantry had just came in from Bien Hoa with 40 pieces of armor to keep Tan Son Nhut from being overran. I mention this because there is a chance that the "No Slack" deuce may have come from Bien Hoa AFB.

When we lost a barracks (hooch) in a rocket attack Red Horse would immediately come in and build it back. They could replace a Hooch that had been completely blown away in a matter of hours and they didn't wait for the smoke (battle) to clear before starting to work. I'm sure they did so quickly for morale purposes. It's my opinion that "No Slack" came in from another location to give cover to Red Horse crews --- either on Tan Son Nhut or in Saigon city.

Part of the First Marine Division also came in to defend Tan Son Nhut at the same time the 25th arrived. I think the 1st Marines also came in from Bien Hoa. I say this because researcdhing Bien Hoa, The 25th Infantry and the 1st marine division via youtube etc "might" produce picture.

The thing that caught my eye was the quad 50 in the back and the "NO SLACK" sign. I don't remember there being a tailgate. Memory tells me the truck was OD green --- green was in vogue :-D

GruntMP Wrote:

I spent several nights looking through the pics on the Vietnam Security Police Association site and found 1, I say again 1, pic of an M37! It had that yellowed, been in a hot humid climate (Vietnam?) look to it, so it was blurry. The truck had a .50 on the back and the lads were qualifying with it at the range on Dong Ha AFB in '67
We had a radar site at Dong Ha (619th Tactical Control Sq (call-sign: Waterboy)). I don't remember seing the M37 BUT you can bet it was well used. Dong Ha was a very "very" bad place.

waayfast

In reading this thread it got me to thinking---if the Air Force had a gun truck-I wonder if the Marine Corp did also.I ended up with a Deuce last summer that has Marine markings.HHHMMM,new project-Marine gun truck replica???

GruntMP

Sasquatch Santa! The pic I was refering to was posted along with others from Waterboy by 366 SPS vet Frank Lewicki! Good to hear from someone who knows the area! I have a good friend who went to TSN after the previous shop was lost to a rocket attack. I thought he said it was during TET 68. His name is Bill Hemmings. Haven't talked to him for some time, but, don't recall that he was very found of his time over there!;-)

Driver523

Here's a photo of No Slack--weather its the same one mentioned here or not I don't know but as you can see its a 5 ton, now toward the end of the war as the trans units went home these trucks were turned in to property disposal and scrapped, sometimes they got snatched by other units that wern't going home yet, like the Ace of Spades went to the 572nd and became Gypsy the Bandit and Uncle Meat went to the 8th Radio Research so No Slack may have went to an Air Force outfit as well, I think I may have a couple more photos of it and I'll post them if I can find them, but at the time of this photo it was with a trans unit, which one I don't know--this photo was sent to me by a guy that crewed the truck I will look for his letter but it was up north in the Da Nang / Phu Bi area-----------------------Hope this helps some----------Driver

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

Grunt MP Wrote:

Sasquatch Santa! The pic I was refering to was posted along with others from Waterboy by 366 SPS vet Frank Lewicki! Good to hear from someone who knows the area! I have a good friend who went to TSN after the previous shop was lost to a rocket attack. I thought he said it was during TET 68. His name is Bill Hemmings. Haven't talked to him for some time, but, don't recall that he was very found of his time over there!
It was probably Tet though Dong Ha, as you know, was constantly getting hit. The name Hemmings doesn't ring a bell BUT --- it's been sooo many years. Thanks for the info.

Driver 523 Wrote:

Here's a photo of No Slack--weather its the same one mentioned here or not I don't know but as you can see its a 5 ton, now toward the end of the war as the trans units went home these trucks were turned in to property disposal and scrapped, sometimes they got snatched by other units that wern't going home yet, like the Ace of Spades went to the 572nd and became Gypsy the Bandit and Uncle Meat went to the 8th Radio Research so No Slack may have went to an Air Force outfit as well, I think I may have a couple more photos of it and I'll post them if I can find them, but at the time of this photo it was with a trans unit, which one I don't know--this photo was sent to me by a guy that crewed the truck I will look for his letter but it was up north in the Da Nang / Phu Bi area-----------------------Hope this helps some----------Driver
Well I'll be damned!!! We live in amazing times don't we! The Internet is really something. Thanks for the pic Driver :-D

I can't say that this is the same truck. My memory was that it was OD green. BUT --- that memory is 40 years old. Back then, being an Air Force weenie, I didn't know a deuce from a 5-ton BUT I do distinctly remember seing "No Slack" written on the armor of the quad fifty --- visable from the back of the truck.

I saw No Slack during Tet which was far from the winding down of the war. I don't know what affiliation Red Horse had with the Air Force. I always thought Red Horse was an Army unit until someone mentioned otherwise here on SS. All I know is that they were the ones that came in when Charlie made buildings disappear.

The magician elects a loud cheer
As he pulls cards from behind your right ear
But the VC will astound you, amaze and confound you
When they make the whole bar disappear! :shock:

Thanks for the posts guys :-D

dentman

I don't know what affiliation Red Horse had with the Air Force. I always thought Red Horse was an Army unit until someone mentioned otherwise here on SS. All I know is that they were the ones that came in when Charlie made buildings disappear.
Thanks for the posts guys :-D

as you said, Santa, the internet is fast, and wicked with intel!!

RED HORSE

Driver523

Ok--I've never--never done this before but I just called ole James and he gave me the ok--here is a photo of the other truck you speak of, the Hangman---James Lyles wrote the books The Hard Ride I & II and will soon have his third book out "Have gun will Travel" so watch for it-------out of all the photos I have I did not have this one but now you do--this particular photo is out of the Hard Ride I ------enjoy my friends these trucks are truely SteelSoldiers---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Driver

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Driver 523, you are an amazing gun truck resource. We are all glad to have you here.

If you wanna come ot the Ga Rally this year, I will throw a nice thick steak on the grille for you :-D

:beer:

Driver523

Just an old gun trucker----and THANKS---this is a great site with a great bunch of guys--I enjoy this place---GA huh?----I retire this Dec.--I'm gonna work on helping to move these replicas around---gonna be fun---Thanks for the offer and kind words---U'r Driver

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We need to help the Guntruck owners move these trucks Larry. I'm lucky...it ain't too far to PF for me...but the guys in Jersey and FL/Tx etc have gotta be eating serious fuel/transpo bills etc.
I know you transportation fellers have the "Eve Of Destruction" in the Transpo Museum, but not everyone knows about her or the museum so that part of your history gets lost to many...just like the Infantry Museum here at Fort Benning.
So...it's up to fine fellers like yourself to find a way to move these replicas around the country to keep the Guntrucker spirit alive. I have met you, Red, Calvin, Sammy, Ugly,Budman, and several others and would be proud to here them say...I got yer back!!
For that...I will do anything I can to help keep the spirit of the Vietnam Guntruckers alive...even though I ain't one...I feel like I've been "adopted".
Ugly and I were talking about "The Gathering" the other day. Since most of the replica Guntrucks are on the East Coast, PF seems to be a perfect "half way" place for us all.
Now we just need to find a way to help those who need help moving the trucks there and back...
Count me in on anything you come up with?
And...if you can...drop by here in October (the Clinto Rally) and we will invade North Georgia with more armored stuff then they can stand!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks