• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Screwed" up Russian ZIL

m109guy

Looks like a neat experimental vehicle. Sadly it would only be good for off road use as it would rip up pretty much anything else it rolls over. But from the video, it looks like it was mainly designed for snow.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting machine.
The US tested similar vehicles. In 1964 Chrysler developed the Marsh Screw. My 1972 copy of The Observer's Military Vehicle Directory gives speeds of 20mph in snow, 9.5 on water and 14 on "muck". It apparently could only manage a dismal 1.6 mph on sand!
I actually saw one of these when I was a kid, it was used for various tasks in the Shannon estuary. Seemed quite effective in that environment.

A bigger vehicle tested by Chrysler in 1969 for use in Vietnam was the RUC (Riverine Utility Craft). Bigger and faster, 15.7 knots on water, 25 mph on marsh, but only 3.5 mph on land.

Cheers

Pics 1&2 are Marsh Screw, pic 3 is RUC

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

Can you imagine the racket it would make on concrete? It would have to be the best thing going in pure mud...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sound of that thing on concrete is NOT something I ever want to experience!

The one I used to see trundled about through mud, weeds, water and whatever slime was to be found in the estuary at high or low tide. That was back in the mid-70s in Ireland. Nowadays I'm sure the environmentalists would be all a-tizzy because it MUST be encroaching on the habitat of the Lesser Crested Bog Blurcheon or the Bloated Fneedle or ..... :roll:

By the way, I really like that picture of the cat!

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks