• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fatty Towbar and 5th wheels

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently acquired two brand new towbars, two 5th wheel assemblies, a brand new boarding ladder, an a hydraulic cylinder. The two towbars and the boarding ladder were still in wooden boxes.

All were part of 1 lot of a recent GL auction. I just happened to notice them there a few weeks ago. Was actually surprised that I won the auction.

The one towbar appears to be a medium-heavy or heavy towbar as it's heavy and non-adjustable. But, I can move it myself and would only need one other person to actually carry and install. Adapters with 1" pins included. Everything there. I also got a strange looking "fatty" towbar that appears to be made of about 4" tubing of unknown ID. Has the lunette ring, pins on that end, and the two arms. No adapter. Pics attached. Anyone have a clue what this is and if adapter feet would be available? It's big, but not all that heavy for the size.

The boarding ladder is in great shape, but at the bottom of the pile in the pictures. The hydraulic cylinder shown is on top of it.

I have no idea what the 5th wheel assemblies are from. The are adjustable front to back. I was thinking of using one to create a deuce tractor and selling the other. Anyone interested? They are big, but not huge as in wouldn't be too big for the deuce. Don't know how the measurements are. Will scope it out soon.

Have no idea what the hydraulic cylinder would be for and have no need for it. If anyone is interested, let me know. It's about 6ft long and looks like it could be from a wrecker, rough terrain lift, or excavator. Looks brand new.

Was really only after the towbars and the boarding ladder. The other stuff is just a bonus. Pics attached.

Eco

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are the 5th wheels new or take-offs?????
If they are new I may be in need of one if I can't get the jaws to lock on the deuce tractor.
I need it to move my big van trailer to the new LZ.
PM me if interested.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ahh, you got that! Man I was wanting to bid, but couldn't figure logistcs out in time. Glad to see someone here got it. That was a GREAT pile of parts.

gimpyrobb

The one that comes completely apart is the new design of the "tow bar from hell". That other one in the box, I have a few of and really like them. I haven't seen those feet before though. When you get some time, could you post better pics of them please?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Wreck, you coming to the FL rally? I have the correct 5th wheel used. Need to confirm that its working as designed.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mostly wanted the towbars and the boarding ladder, but when previewing thought the 5th wheels could be made to work. Could be wrong. I know they aren't for a deuce and compared them to what's on a 818 and they aren't the same either. They are Holland/Freightliner I think. Have no idea what that means. Since I retrieved, they have either been under snow or ice and we just got another 3 inches last night. As soon as it melts this weekend, I'll take better pics. I need the trailer. The 5th wheels are moveable front to back and are pretty beefy.

So what's the deal with the fatty towbar? Any additional info? Is it called the "towbar from hell" or is the one that it replaced called that? If it's this one, why? It doesn't seem that bad. I just need to figure out how to adapt the one end to the shackle mounts of a deuce. Any clues? Anyone else have one of these?

I'll take better pics of the towbar ends once the snow is gone this weekend. Do it have a medium heavy, or the heavy?

Thanks guys.

Sephirothq

I think it was listed as a tow bar for a AAAIV??? OR something like that. It sure looks heavy enough and it probably can be made to fit anything.
Do you have a medium tow bar end to look at? the one that fits on the duece.

gimpyrobb

Eco, I have at least one of each tow bar. :wink: Yes you can make it work with a deuce, just have to find or fab the right adapters.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, didn't think it would be too hard to fab something up. But wasn't sure if correct adapters were out there.

If you google "Holland Fifth Wheel" it takes you almost right to a web page that contains the installation and owners manual for the two fifth wheels I have. Have a look for anyone that might be interested in buying one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will know why it is referred to as the towbar from hell the first time you hook it up by yourself.

jwaller

that 5th wheel is off a M915. they are sliders and I just got one myself from GL for my 818. cost was $200. not bad IMO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks