• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15-kw 400 cycle diesel gen.set

MAJOR

Help, this unit is practicaly new, 52 hrs. --not knowing to much aout them, that is the generator section, can"t seem to get any juice flowing,, ( testing the utiliy outlet ) shows not reading? , thinking some simple connection a switch to trow, that is an unaware of ------ i do have the orig. Manual that came with the unit.

Did throw the circut breaker---nothing.???

Attachments

stampy

Amen I have 2 running 10kw 300hz gensets I will sell you for what I have in then...I swear to this day I bid on 60hz.

Numbers

Well, if you can use it a Variable Voltage/Variable Frequency Converter will get the HZ you want and the voltage too. However, new cost for them is about $2950. I believe FCC might have used them on ship before (depends on system he worked on). If it was the iron cannon then probably not
:)

Last edited:

Numbers

21. AC VOLTMETER (VOLTS AC) DOES NOT INDICATE VOLTAGE.
Step 1. Test for defective AC Voltmeter (VOLTS AC), paragraph 2.31.2.
a. If AC Voltmeter (VOLTS AC) is not defective, do step 2.
b. If defective, replace AC Voltmeter (VOLTS AC), paragraph 2.31
Step 2. Test for defective VOLTAGE adjust potentiometer, paragraph 2.33.3.
a. If VOLTAGE adjust potentiometer is not defective, do step 3.
b. If defective, replace VOLTAGE adjust potentiometer, paragraph 2.33.
Step 3. Test for defective AM-VM transfer switch, paragraph 2.38.3.
a. If defective, replace AM-VM transfer switch, paragraph 2.38.
b. If AM-VM transfer switch is not defective, notify next higher level of maintenance

I believe this was a MEP804/814 and if you have the original manual more is in the trouble shooting section.

If that is not the same manual you have try these links.
http://www.tpub.com/content/generators/TM-9-6115-643-24/
http://www.tpub.com/content/generators/TM-9-6115-643-24P

A listing of the manuals that came with it depend on whether you were Air Force or Army

Technical Manuals
Army Air Force
Operators TM 9-6115-643-10 TO 35C2-3-455-21
Unit, DS, GS TM 9-6115-643-24 TO 35C2-3-455-22
RPSTL TM 9-6115-643-24P TO 35C2-3-455-24
Lube Order LO 9-6115-643-12
Warranty TB 9-6115-643-24

http://www.pm-mep.army.mil/technicaldata/pdffiles/15kwtqg.pdf

Last edited:

MAJOR

Bc , thanks for your response. My main reason for this unit , was to use for lighting, in field siutations , also i though i mite be able to convert it some how to 60 cycle, which can be done as i understand ,but rather costly. Also i enjoy tickering and if all else fails , it does have a neet 4cyl. Diesel engine that i can use as a power for oth equip.
Ray

Boatcarpenter

MAJOR,
I did some research a while ago on phase converters for a 3kw and they were not too expensive but not really worth it for my use. If you didn't need all 15kw at 60 cycles, I suppose there might be a way to convert only some for 60 cycle use that would not be prohibitively expensive. Pull a few amps from one 110 leg and convert that to 60 cycles for tool operation and the like.
Food for thought anyway.
And besides, I know what you mean about the tinkering factor and all the other possibilities of having the unit:-D.
BC

dozer

There is no way to convert the 400cyc alternator on there to 60 cyc output. The -frequency- is determined by the number of physical poles/slots in the stator, times the RPM. Obviously, you cannot change the way the laminations in the stator were machined/made.....i.e., stamped.

A 400cyc alternator designed for 1800rpm would put out 60cyc as-is IF you could run the engine around 250 rpm..:)

(but even then, it wouldn't work worth a damn. It'd overheat even at moderate load, because the amount of iron required for 400hz magnetic fields is far less than for 60hz fields....which is why 400hz power is used on aircraft (gens and motors and xformers are lots lighter).

A "phase converter" isn't relevant to this situation. A phase converter is a device for creating 3-phase output from a single-phase input.....using either large oil-filled capacitors or a 3-phase motor plus a capacitor.

Phase-converters do NOT change the FREQUENCY.

There are two post-genset methods of "changing" the frequency. I put "changing" in quotes because in both methods, what's actually happening is that the power is being 'created' over again from scratch.

The first method is a simple motor-generator rig....which someone mentioned already. But you'd need a 25hp 400-cyc AC motor to begin with....not easy to find.....and that would drive a 10kw 60cyc alternator (i.e. generator or gen-head). Those are easy to find, but costly. Then fab a frame, drive-coupling, etc. etc..

But if one were going to buy a 10kw gen-head, one might as well just bolt it to the diesel in place of the current 400cps gen-head... :wink:

Also, motor-gens are typically only 60-70% efficient...quite a large loss.

The second "frequency converter" method is "electronic"; in that it first rectifies the 400cps to HVDC, which powers a very large power-amplifier, which amplifies a 60-cycle signal from an oscillator.

These are the big, heavy, rack-mount boxes you see for several grand.

Best method to get 60hz from that rig is to buy a 15kw gasser genset with a blown engine, take off its gen-head, and bolt it onto your diesel. Should be doable for 500 bucks total cost.....or less if you get lucky finding a gen-head.

Note; if you're close to a port at all, check for a company who services the work-boat gen-sets. They almost always have a pile of old gen-heads in the weeds out back.....from gen-sets which blew the engine, and the owner decided to replace, rather than repair. I've gotten 10-20kw heads for $100-300 more than once. Basically for the scrap copper value.

hope this helps...

Last edited:

Militoy

I use 400 Hz motor-generators and diesel gensets on a daily basis at work - and they're so dependable, I'd frankly be surprised if the one you have is inoperable, considering how few hours are on the clock. We recently purchased a used Kato mogen unit with 30,000 hours on it. It works just fine - with only a little bearing rumble. Wish I lived closer, so I could look over the one you have. Dozer laid it out pretty well - there's not really an efficient way to convert to 60 Hz, other than changing out the generator or converting to DC and driving an inverter. Incandescent lamps don't know the difference in frequency - and many types of equipment, such as those with universal motors and equipment that immediately convert the input power to DC will run fine off of 400 Hz. Best of luck getting it up and running!

goldneagle

I bought one a couple of years ago that was missing some of the electronics tot he 400HZ head. I bought a 42KW Generator Head and attached it to the 44HP White Engine.

MARATHON MAGNAPLUS GENERATOR END, 12 LEAD
RECONNECTABLE, WITH SE350 VOLTAGE REGULATOR, P/N
361PSL1602, ENGINE ADAPTER SIZE SAE 2, FLYWHEEL COUPLER
SIZE SAE DDC 15.5, NAMEPLATE AT 120/240V 42KWCONT. $3,100.00

Generator works like a dream!

Avn-Tech

Sir,

You probably need to flash the field to get it generating. Look in the manusl you, and they should have instrucions for flashing the field.

Later military generators, automaticaly flash the field when they start to prevent this problem.

As mentioned in earlier post, the 400 HZ machines are basically usless for the average person. They are used for Aviation, and can not be converted.

If you do not have the manuals you need, PM me, as I probably have them in my collection.

Good luck
Avn-Tech

dozer

avntech,

Would you have PDF manuals for a PU-667A/G Marine Corps gen-set?

It's a mid-60's set made by Condec/Monarch...5kw...2-cyl Lister-Petter engine.....and in 4 yrs of looking, I've yet to find manuals for it.

There were 668, 669, and 670 in the series...all used the same electronics-package for the governor/contro. I need the schematics for the PC-boards themselves....not just the inter-board 'wiring diagram' that's found in the lid.

If you have them, please email me directly...

metal@fullwave.com

thanks!

Richard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks