• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huey flight time

GoHot229

Many of us dream of flying just once in our lifetimes in a helicopter. In 1970 times were so-so and being 19, I was doing nothing either creative or productive. The times were about the War and the demonstrations against it, many facing the draft still. I was one of those, and at least to have some choice in what I was to be doing in the service, I joined the Army. During those years virtually everyone except "Some Senators Son" was sure to end up in South East Asia, specifically The Republic of Vietnam. The Day I left for Vietnam, I was at Fort Lewis, located in Washington state, it was a gray drizzly day filled with gloom, which was intensified by someone there at the staging center who thought it cool to be playing the bag pipes. That along with the gray drizzle cast a surreal atmosphere about the place. I was leaving all I had known up to that point, all that was familiar, behind. Upon riving in Cameron Bay, I spent several days before being dispatched to Camp Eagle, to the far north of the country, and then to Quang Tri, only 3-4 miles from the DMZ of North Vietnam and the South. Spending a month there I saw some firefights that will forever be in my memory. Some two or three months later we stood down to Camp Eagle again in a seemingly unwind of where I had come from, and finally to the South, to a fire base known as Camp Bearcat. It was at Camp Bearcat that I was afforded the opportunity to become a Doorgunner on a Huey (slick) and jumped at the prospect. Having heard all the horror stories of short lifespans of Crew Chief's and Doorgunners, it was admittedly a scary proposition to undertake, but never the less I jumped on board. Our typical day consisted of inserting Blues Platoons and Rangers. Otherwise we would fly to an airbase and spend the day 'waiting'. Some days were intense others life threateningly boring. Lift off was a feeling of being lifted by some invisible rubber band, then the tail rising to an extreme angle and collective applied, the Birds' were on our way, quickly rising to an altitude of 2,000 feet and leveling off at that point as a cruising altitude most commonly. Morning was a mixture of many things, and prop wash on my side intensified everything to the point, there was no guessing the weather, you were in the thrust of it. Some mornings the cold chill of low temperatures was apparent, or the occasional rains would dampen out 'Jets' and gung-ho,edness, by virtue of a good collateral soaking. Other times in the early dawn stillness it was beautiful, almost too beautiful to be a war zone, never the less there was an ever present danger all around us as often times we went to places not allowed, to retrieve downed crafts or rescue pilots or soldiers. Often times after the monsoon season, flying was much different, there were smells not present the rest of the year, and while flying over low clouds or jungle mist the shadow of the Slick's prop on the clouds would appear as a circular rainbow, very unusual and pretty to see. Cold days brought the wop,wop bounce felt as the prop was in dense air, much more so than in dry conditions. Late night incursions were few, but we had our share. Ar night there was an absence of ground based lights, as many 'Villes' had no electricity, the only thing seen might be a small fire or a lantern, often times extinguished at our coming presence. The stars were so bright in the night sky, they seemed to be your one familiar sight that you could cling to, the sometimes cold was all around you when flying at night because our altitude was often times increased to 3,000 feet. During the warm summer months there was less lift and a feeling of comfortable warmth, but being in a huge fan, never too hot. Rising to altitude, there was a significant 'feel' change as the temperatures varied. But during the days it was much more uniform in temperature. I did this every day for nearly a year, either finding My way somewhere on foot, or by air. What many would pay to fly as much a I have flown. To experience the seasons, the smells, and all the nuance's of flight. The feeling of power with two Cobra's, two Loaches and three to four Slicks indescribable, simply you just had to be there. These days I'm content to have an M35A2 Deuce. It is sufficient to stir memories, after all the ride to the flight pad was in a Deuce.

Last edited by a moderator:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed reading it, brought back memories.

My bird was a bit bigger (CH-53) and our jungle was post-Vietnam and somewhat closer, but the experience was similar. There is still nothing like flying while leaning out in the wind, where you can feel and smell what's around you.

Cheers

KaiserJeep715

we are not allowed to smoke within 50 of the helicopters now... I love the guy smoking in the back of the Huey in the first picture... Love the pics!

wsucougarx

Wecome home sir! Thank you for your service. My father was also in Vietnam. He was a 19 year draftee who served w/ the Co D, 1/20th, 11th Light Infantry Brigade (Americal Division) from 1969-1970. Unfortunately that unit was scarred a couple years previous w/the My Lai Massacre. However, my father proudly served with his company w/distinction. Through attrition he want from PFC to SGT in 3 months. Now if combat doesn't age you I don't know what will. My father in law served from 1967-1968 with 2/60th infantry w/the 9th Infantry division in the Mekong and had the oppotunity to meet General Abrams and Adm McCain. In fact he is mentioned in now Sen. John McCain's autobiography that was released about 10 years ago.

dittle

Nice pictures you put up pvtjorge. Thank you pvtjorge, M813rc and GoHot229 for your service to this country.

nickd

At The Citadel I was part of a few ROTC FTX's that involved a Huey extraction from a remote field on campus to someplace in the Francis Marrian National Forrest. They picked us up before dawn on Saturday and dropped us off, we spent the weekend traveling to a pick up spot late on Sunday night. It was nothing like combat, I carried an M60 one weekend and was a radio operator (with the CO) another time and was a grunt the rest of the FTX's. We got little sleep as we broke to small patrols and had to navigate through the night and meet at specific places and then abck to a rally point for a morning meal and then a forced march the rest of the day for the pick up. The high light was the chopper rides. As the RTO for the CO I got to ride in a mutt, ate warm meals and had the easy life.

I graduated in 1980 but my excessive hearing loss excluded me from a commission.

GoHot229

Wecome home sir! Thank you for your service. My father was also in Vietnam. He was a 19 year draftee who served w/ the Co D, 1/20th, 11th Light Infantry Brigade (Americal Division) from 1969-1970. Unfortunately that unit was scarred a couple years previous w/the My Lai Massacre. However, my father proudly served with his company w/distinction. Through attrition he want from PFC to SGT in 3 months. Now if combat doesn't age you I don't know what will. My father in law served from 1967-1968 with 2/60th infantry w/the 9th Infantry division in the Mekong and had the oppotunity to meet General Abrams and Adm McCain. In fact he is mentioned in now Sen. John McCain's autobiography that was released about 10 years ago.
I will tell you this, My Lai massacre was 'not' an isolated incident, rather mearly one that was brought to light by zelous reporters and not as uncomon as you would think. Cally was made sacrificial lamb in that incident report. There was a singular insident where after several days of incoming mortars and small gun fire, we were dispatched to a ville to destroy it...period. when we left it was not a ville any more, nor was there anything remotely resembling life to be found there. There is no kindness in a war, only death and destruction to the point where the enemy either surrenders or submits. I would not consider that a 'blemish' but another day in the Hell we all lived through there, and I was one of the lucky ones, because more often than not I was able to return to the fire base nearly every day, thus a shower a bed and decent food along with some amount of free time. There were also times of terror. But terror becomes Jaded after a while, and is replaced with a person most of us would rather not be.

joshgar8

Thanks for your story and most important, thanks for your service. Words cant describe the respect that ALL service men and women deserve. I was not in the service myself, but I have all respect for the ones that are past present and future.

As far as the huey, thats a sound you never forget. I have been up in a huey several times and its something I will always remember.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have flown in Chinooks, Loaches, Little Birds, Blackhawks and even the Skycrane but my first flight in a chopper was in a Huey and it was love at first flight.
I volunteered for door gunner training the next day.
I was in the 101st Airborne in 1973-74 after they got back from Nam. The pilots we flew with were Cav guys that had flown in combat and really gave you the ride of your life.
There is nothing like that WOP WOP WOP of a Huey and if I hear that sound today I stop and look for the source.
They were a flying truck and when equipped with mini-guns and rockets they became a flying guntruck. Their ability to absorb rounds and keep flying endeared them to the men that flew them. I have talked to Guard pilots that told me that they literally flew Hueys back in that should never have stayed in the air.
I was at Camp Shelby, MS last week and there on the pad at the base infirmary was a Huey....the Guard is still flying them in spite of the rumor of their removal from the inventory.
If I ever win the big lotto I will own a Huey.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've rode in pretty much everything the Navy and Marines have (except a Cobra) and the Huey was the most thrilling ride. The big H-53E was pretty kewl too, but only because the only place to sit was on the forklift it was transporting (inside at least). My least favorite was catching the 3 wire in the COD on the Nimitz.

Orionspath

Nicely written Sir, thank you for sharing and serving. I also felt the rubber band effect and as you have written in the epiloge, I guess I too will have to consider my duece as the next best thing to owning my own bird.......Welcome home, all of you that served in S.E. Asia. You have always been my heros! May God continue to bless you and your families......

hurst01

GoHot229,

As I read your post I relived every moment. I too, volunteered as a door gunner with the 11th ACR in 1967. I pretty much experienced everything you said. It was a time and experience that I will never forget and I loved it dearly. There were many times that I was wishing I could have been somewhere else. It is amazing! The whole time I was reading your post I was actually reliving the whole thing.
I remember one time one of the pilots was in need of a check ride. There was an IP (Instructor Pilot) that was to check out one of the Warrants. They took my ship so I went also. We were cruising at tree-top level and sometimes below when all of a sudden I heard on the intercom very calmly "I don't want to hit that tree". About another 15 seconds I heard again, this time a bit louder "I don't want to hit that tree". About another 10-15 seconds passed and I again heard (This time quite a bit louder and much more enthusiastic, "I DON'T WANT TO HIT THAT TREE", and the IP took the stick and we went practically straight up for a bit. I glanced forward just in time to see the branches of an old dead tree barely miss our skids.
Being basically a kid at the time, I wasn't paying too much attention to what was forward, I was mostly looking out the door for anything suspicious looking and for other aircraft. I began paying a little more attention to what the pilots were saying because that sudden rise in altitude pushed me briefly, but deeply into my seat. I was young and kind-of stupid. I never wore my safety harness.
As we were flying along I overheard the conversation with the pilots turn to their preferences between fixed wing and rotor wing. The Warrant officer told the IP that he preferred fixed wing because of the capabilities of aerobatics. The IP told him that he could do anything with a rotor wing that a fixed wing could do. About this time we had increased altitude to about 6000 feet, which was quite unusual. Everything looked so much different. The Warrant said that the rotor wing could not do spins. UH-OH! Wrong thing to say. The IP took the controls and made a clearing turn, nose up, went into a stall and there were were spinning and watching the ground come ever so closer. Did I mention that I was young and stupid and didn't wear my safety harness?
The first thing I thought of was that my ammo cases would be flying out and I was leaning over to try and hold them in. Those of you that don't know, we kept the ammo cases for the M60s under our jump seat. Then I realized that I was not strapped in. The spin was enough, not knowing that it was coming, but the recovery was just as intense. I was holding on! From then On, I made it a point to have the pilots tell us of of any aerobatic actions they intended to do.
The day came when I was called in and told that I was being shipped out because too many personnel in my unit were to leave country too close to the same time and they needed to make sure that would not happen. I was traded to a straight leg infantry unit in the 1st Infantry Division and back to my job in communications.
I was very bitter to say the least. It was my duties flying that made it much more bearable. I loved flying with a passion whether it be in good conditions or bad. Two weeks later I heard about my ship being shot down and everyone on board was killed. To this day I feel guilty about that, it should have been me instead of the 19 year old that took my place. Looking back, I realize that it was part of Gods plan for me to transfer out. There has been many times that I should not have survived, or lived through different circumstances but God has been with me through each one.
Welcome Home, Brother! Thanks to all that have served, and may God bless our troops.

Ed

ida34

Here is my contribution. I just found this the other day. This was Desert Storm. Seems like yesterday and a lifetime ago all at the same time. A young soldier thinking about getting "some" when he gets home. Not specifically aviation but I was 101st Airborne and we had those things under Chinooks a lot. To this day I can ID most helicopters military and the civy ones normally flying around my area, by the sound. My wife does not understand how I can do it but they all sing their own songs. The best treat is hearing the 4 radials of the Yankee Air Force B-17. In the summer if flys over the house a lot.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks