• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 AM General M35A2

dave 2

Brakes went out on my M35A2 deuce and a half. Don't have maint. manual yet. Where do I fill brake fluid and what type brake fluid do I use? Also oil is leaking from rear inside wheel hubs. Any help is appreciated. dave 2.

Sephirothq

the master cly is under the drivers side cab. there is a plate tht lifts up to get to it. You will probably need silicon brake fluid. it is different then the dot 3 stuff you get at most stores they are not compatiable. there are manuals of the truck under the resource section.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a trap door on the floor right in front of drivers seat. Remove screw, lift door. Vent hose goes to top of master cyl. remove that, then loosen and remove cap. Fill through small hole in floor of cab once door is open with long funnel.

Oil is either a bad break hose somewhere close to that wheel with a pin hole, or bad wheel cylinder. Manuals are on this site, at the top under resources.

dave 2

the master cly is under the drivers side cab. there is a plate tht lifts up to get to it. You will probably need silicon brake fluid. it is different then the dot 3 stuff you get at most stores they are not compatiable. there are manuals of the truck under the resource section.
Thanks Much dave 2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also click on the resource tab at the top and download some free manuals for that truck. Lots of stuff you need to know in the manuals before you put this truck on the road. As these trucks have a single circuit brake system, the brake fluid should be checked at least weekly if not daily. Once out of fluid, you are out of brakes too!

wsucougarx

Sorry to chime in like this, but you've got to be checking that fluid everytime you take your deuce out on the road. First, you need to verify exactly what kind of brake fluid you have first. Get a small container, put some of your brake fluid in it (provided you still have some in there). Now put a couple drops of water in the cup w/your brake fluid. Mix it around and wait a couple minutes. If you notice the water droplets in the suspension (in other words, not mixing w/brake fluid) then you have silicone brake fluid (DOT 5). If you don't notice the water, then it mixed in w/the brake fluid (DOT 3). If you recovered from the military then more than likely it's DOT 5, but always verify b/c the DOT 5 and DOT3 do not mix!!!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wise words of wisdom from Kenny and WSUCOUGARX. I would almost guarantee that it is DOT 5, but, as stated above, you should verify this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks