• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a Mite?

cbvet

Anyone know if a Mighty Mite can be flat-towed?
Or can it be towed with a tow dolly?
Over 1,000 mile trip.
I really don't want to rent a trailer or pull the axle shafts unless I have to.
Thanks,
Eric
CBVET

armytruck63

Eric, I would bite the bullet and rent the car trailer. Mighty Mites are quite rare and you wouldn't want to toast anything with a long, flat tow. If you must flat tow, I would take the time to remove the four short axle shafts between the differentials and the wheels. Remember that you won't have any parking brake when you get to your destination.

Matt

cbvet

Thanks Armytruck63
Just got offered a trailer to use.

Chevytruck
No pics of this one. Haven't seen it or bought it yet.
And our other Mite isn't together yet.
Eric
CBVET

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd just rent a Hyundai and toss the Mite in the trunk and bring it home that way!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mite will not self-steer. You have to tie the steering wheel or it will get out of straight ahead and scuff the tires. Way better to trailer it. Check for those "x" on the end of the front axle shafts, btw, or for sure you will watch a tire go by you. Had it happen . . .

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree CBVET...get a trailer...no worries that way. Those "Mites" are becoming scarce and I wouldn't wanna take any risks.:razz: Heck...borrow a riding lawn mower trailer!!:roll:

BillIdaho

Ok, without be a smart-azz....forget the Pacer.
I don't think a Mighty-Mite weighs much more than a couple of snowmobiles. You can find a three or four place snowmobile trailer for next to nothing. A single axle, once you figured out tongue weight, would probably work for a short occasional trip.
I would NOT tow it. Like everyone is saying, haul it.

cbvet

NDT,
You say "Check for those "x" on the end of the front axle shafts, btw, or for sure you will watch a tire go by you. Had it happen . . . ".
I don't know what you're referring to. Enlighten me please.
Eric
CBVET

armytruck63

NDT is referring to the fact that the front wheels are essentially held on to the axle shaft stub with one large bolt. Early on, this bolt was not strong enough and occasionally snapped, causing much excitement. An improved bolt with better heat treating fixed this problem. These bolts are the ones with the "X", if I remember correctly. The previous owner of my dad's M422 had a front wheel come off...:!:

JeepMan

Yes, I would trailer it. If needed, either rent/borrow a utility type trailer,
get some strap tie-downs from Wal-Mart/Sams Club as someone says, buy a trailer for a garden tractor (5X8) new or used.
Daryl Bennsinger can tell you about wheels falling off ------
Make an adventure out of it.

Mike_Pop

Flat towing a Mite? NO WAY!

I've always trailered mine and since it is under 1,800 lbs, you don't need a big trailer.

In fact, I am selling the trailer I use for my Mite. It's listed in the classifieds and located in NJ.

Attachments

ErmeyFan

For those who were asking, you want to see this "X" on the edge of your spindle.

If it requires a password for you to see that photo, try "Glen10".

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

March 14th, 2009.

GO FOR THE TRAILER!!!! I tried to tow a Mighty Mite on a dolly from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia with the shafts on, it can't be done! I ended up getting a Uhaul truck and car trailer because the Mighty Mites won't tow dolly or not. Just pick it up and stick it in your M35A2 or your back pocket, whichevers bigger!:-D

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

That lack of an "X "on the spindle can be a real pain..... when the bolt breaks through the cotter pin hole you will get to see a wheel pass you up, which is why I made longer replacement bolts with a locking nut on the outer end that had the cotter pin hole through it. That way when the bolt end breaks that leaves one nut to limp home on! (No jokes here, boys!)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks