• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinda looks like that thing the Japanese used to track Godzilla:-D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a simple and very old military oscilloscope, possibly made by RCA. It was intended to be used to look at electrical signals in radios and the like, but is still useful today for tracking down noises and intermittent connections in vehicle wiring as well as for general audio and old radio work. Could be used to work on TV sets up to a point. Good for working on traditional Tesla coils, as tube circuits won't be destroyed by high voltage arcs. Usually. No harmful rays are emitted from the device. All the test leads are missing from the lid there. Inside there is about 2000 volts as well as lower voltages like 6.3 to 700 volts. If you find them by accident it it may be a very shocking experience. It has alot of vacuum tubes inside that might be useful. It also has capacitors with PCBs and they may or may not be leaking. It is worth about $25-30 for parts, assuming it is complete. It is not worth much more in working order. If it works and does not catch fire or smoke (a posibility!), you can connect one channel of your am-fm radio's line output to the "Y INPUT" jack and watch the music. If it blows the fuse, don't put a bigger one in it or there may be a fire hazard. Check the fuse to see that it is the amperage rating called for, and no higher. Sometimes the previous owner would have out anything they could find in there. I have seen identifying pics of that item on the internet but cannot find them at this moment. It's really a nice old classic piece of gear. I might have parts if you need them. Enjoy. Or, just ship to me. ;-)

motormayhem

It is a simple and very old military oscilloscope, possibly made by RCA. It was intended to be used to look at electrical signals in radios and the like, but is still useful today for tracking down noises and intermittent connections in vehicle wiring as well as for general audio and old radio work. Could be used to work on TV sets up to a point. Good for working on traditional Tesla coils, as tube circuits won't be destroyed by high voltage arcs. Usually. No harmful rays are emitted from the device. All the test leads are missing from the lid there. Inside there is about 2000 volts as well as lower voltages like 6.3 to 700 volts. If you find them by accident it it may be a very shocking experience. It has alot of vacuum tubes inside that might be useful. It also has capacitors with PCBs and they may or may not be leaking. It is worth about $25-30 for parts, assuming it is complete. It is not worth much more in working order. If it works and does not catch fire or smoke (a posibility!), you can connect one channel of your am-fm radio's line output to the "Y INPUT" jack and watch the music. If it blows the fuse, don't put a bigger one in it or there may be a fire hazard. Check the fuse to see that it is the amperage rating called for, and no higher. Sometimes the previous owner would have out anything they could find in there. I have seen identifying pics of that item on the internet but cannot find them at this moment. It's really a nice old classic piece of gear. I might have parts if you need them. Enjoy. Or, just ship to me. ;-)
Well I plugged it in and it seems to be working (except for the fan). I will give my radio a shot with it and see what i can do. Also the power switch seems to have a heat and power setting. What do these two settings do? The heat light is not working but the power one comes on and seems to make it function. Also is a possible leak of PCB's a hazard to play with it or just if I lived on top of the thing my whole life?

Thanks,
Miles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks