• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTB: HYP-57/TSEC Vehicular Power Adapter

moose53

Hey all,

I'm looking for two HYP-57/TSEC Vehicular Power Adapters for the KY-57 encryption unit. Working is preferred but will take either way.

anyone got any?

Jim

jwbronco

You actually don't need on of them, if you have clean dc power you can connect it straight to your ky-57 using a ba-5590 adapter which simulates the battery side. The HYP is strictly an adapter to adapt a cannon plug to a battery style adapter. It does have some caps in it though. It attaches just like the battery box would on the end of a ky-57

Wile E. Coyote

Also looking for HYP-57s

I could use a couple of them too if anyone has any spare, or pointers to same. Murphy has the HYP-5s but they'll only work with the LST-5 stuff, and the usual suspects like American Milspec, Fair Radio and BPB Surplus don't have any listed.

For the information of others who may've picked up some of the very demilled KY-57s rattling around out there, if you don't already have a mount you could go with the MT-6429 that American Milspec and some other vendors have (the mount used with the KY-57s in the early SINCGARS installations featuring the RT-1439 transceiver instead of the RT-1523* ) Unfortunately I've got all the old-school mounts already set up in my M151A2 and on my GRC-206, so I'm stuck sourcing HYP-57s.

Iron7

I'm surpirsed that the HYP-57's are so tough to dig up. Is it possible to modify the other power supplies that the typical suppliers have to get it close enough to pass inspection? I only have one HYP-57 available at $100. I've been looking hard for them and the mounting brackets but, nothing yet.

Wile E. Coyote

I'm surpirsed that the HYP-57's are so tough to dig up. Is it possible to modify the other power supplies that the typical suppliers have to get it close enough to pass inspection? I only have one HYP-57 available at $100. I've been looking hard for them and the mounting brackets but, nothing yet.
I found two HYP-57s through Ebay vendor Austin Aviation, who also has the pre-SINCGARS brackets to hold the KY-57/HYP-57 combination (MT-4626 - the two he lists now even have the later guards fitted.) I bought the two HYP-57s he has and one of the battery boxes he lists for the KY-57s in case I want to display it with a PRC-77.

The 'other' power supplies are either the HYP-5s like Mike Murphy has which look approximately the same size but they're black - for the LST-5s and VDC-100 modem - and I don't know if they'll fit in the trays. If you want to cable in the HYP-57/KY-57 you're sort of stuck with the real deal as the power cable to run the HYP comes in directly from the back. Vendors are selling the newer SINCGARS type mount that the KY-57 just bolts up to, but...again...all wrong if you actually want to cable it in with the VRC-12 series stuff the right way. If you don't care about getting it exactly right you could get away with the newer mounts - or if you have a SINCGARS RT-1439 (early) setup.

People have been making wooden replicas of the KY-57 that pass inspection "20/20" (i.e., 20 feet away at 20 mph) so you could probably try and HYP-5 from the LST series and paint it CARC green, but...I dunno...if a guy goes through the trouble to get everything else right you might as well just hold out for the correct HYPs.

Iron7

Good info! I'll keep an eye on the vendor in Austin, he's about an hours drive from my house. I probably need to go walk around and see what he's got on hand to get a better idea of what's available. I never heard of the wooden mock up of the HYP-57, good idea but I concur with your thought; if you go that far, why not do it right. That thought has driven me to keep my eyes wide open when I nose around my haunts to spot the right items we all need. My Wife hates it when I take forever to wander around someplace that I saw while driving down the road (MKCoen can attest to that as well, lol), I'm guessing any true MVer does exactly the same, lol. I spotted my first MV by "rubber necking" as I drove down the highway, bout my first of 4 M561 Gama Goat.

Wile E. Coyote

Ebay vendor Austin Aviation has them now and then but he rarely labels them 'HYP-57' so you have to go through his radio listings. He has the appropriate battery boxes now and then too if you ever decide to do a manpack (PRC-77) configuration. I bought a bunch of stuff off of him and have never had a single problem or moment's regret - so now I have to KY-57s with HYP-57s and a battery box for my VN PRC-77 pack setup.

jwaller

Ebay vendor Austin Aviation has them now and then but he rarely labels them 'HYP-57' so you have to go through his radio listings. He has the appropriate battery boxes now and then too if you ever decide to do a manpack (PRC-77) configuration. I bought a bunch of stuff off of him and have never had a single problem or moment's regret - so now I have to KY-57s with HYP-57s and a battery box for my VN PRC-77 pack setup.

I went thru his entire radio listings last night and couldn't find them. do you have a link? I don't worry about him as I've bought dozens of things off him in the past. I just can't find the adapters.

I found the mount that has the built in power supply but it's not the hyp57

Wile E. Coyote

Yeah..I just went through his list also and while he still has four or five of the battery boxes he seems to be out of the HYPs, so maybe I got the last two. You'll probably just have to keep an eye on his auctions and see what turns up, because I too looked everywhere before I found the ones he had and came up with nuttin.

moose53

He puts them up one or two at a time, just keep checking...he usually calls them a radio power supply or something like that.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks