• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Line Safety

Boatcarpenter

Although not an MV in the picture, a good example of how things can go wrong around powerlines if one is not careful!
Driver was attempting to throw a cable over the logs to secure them. He hooked the power line instead. 7200 volts direct to ground. Driver noted that tires started to fry almost immediately.
No one was hurt.
BC

Attachments

jatonka

As a long time lineman, and heavy equipment operator, I ask, how did the guy throwing the sling live through that? He is a blessed man. JT out

Blythewoodjoe

I dig up power lines almost every day and they don't make be nerious but anytime there are overhead power lines near my machine I don't like it. Hitting a overhead line with the boom would be really bad. A couple of scout leaders died a few years ago putting up a tent at a national event. High voltage don't play.

I snapped an unmarked high voltage line a few years ago and it sounded like underground thunder.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dad dug ditches on the side with a Ditch Witch trencher and he did it for about 30 years (although he is gone we still have one of his trenchers). I can remember he and I were digging in a new subdivision and the power company had it marked and said go for it. Dad started digging and has a sneaking suspicion they were wrong so he got down off the machine and let it keep digging and sure enough, about 20 feet later it cut a 7,200 volt underground cable. We heard the pop and saw light and flames shoot up out of the ditch but the trencher kept going and Dad climbed back up and finished the job. I can see someone throwing a line up like that and not getting hurt if they let go when they threw it and were not standing too close the the line when it hit. Lucky!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks