• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 info needed

Bax

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's a CCKW. There was a 6x4 version referred to as the CCW and a Studebaker version that was similar called the US-6.

If you google CCKW, a world of goodies will open to you. Be forewarned, they are far rarer and therefore more expensive than the modern military 6x6's.

emr

Well since U are in PA U need to look up the club REDBALL> and the formost expert as good as any and probbably better than most is Bob Rubino, U can see an ad in the MV mag for Him, For such a truck U are very lucky to have a resource like that club and Him at hand, They are a WW2 club mostly and probably some nice trucks turning around there, i purchased one from Him a number of years ago, and let me tell U He is there for U every step of the way....They are a first class club also. PM me and i will look up and set U up with some phone #s...good luck they are awesome trucks, I felt owning one for a fnumber of years was worth its weight in gold to really know and understand the history of all the trucks we buy and run, And that is basically where it all started, be prepared to learn to drive all over again, your uncle will probably jump in and drive away, then U will jump in and grind away, dont mind it just keep doing it and U also will be a pro soon, ...Randy

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck pictured is a GMC CCKW-352. Shortwheelbase, closed cab, with winch and rare ring mount. If you want one of these to restore, talk to Army Cars USA, they are importing the Norway creampuffs. They have nice ones for $6K and up depending on running condition. These are so nice you can do some minor maintenance and hit the road . . .

emr

Also this truck was designated a prime artillery mover, thats the reason for the 2 spares, this perticular truck pictured the 352 has "bud" wheels in the "front" for duellys up there when placing artillary and or towing in difficult conditions,limited number built for sure, ruff guess 15000,now like all 2 and a half tonners there are many varients, and there are a quite few in ww2,Now as there is talk that these were actually never called deuces, It has been asked in the MV mag and such for any at all actuall proof ,NOT i heard a guy say they did, these were "jimmys" above info all super correct, and the regular truck the long wheel base is a 353, they made one that splits in half to carry in gargo planes also, Now that truck the 352 will bring a higher price than a regular wheel base, and they also had open cab designs, no hard doors and a rag top, thats what i had the 352 open cab, That truck steers so easy u just cant believe it, even with the deullys on the front, and i ran em alot in alot of conditions,There were advertisements of these trucks with the worm gear steering box that they were the easiest steering truck of the day and i say it was true for sure.alot of history in these alone....all the best and hope u guys find a truck that fits your needs, there are different ones , oh and also can't forget the "tippers" they dumped, there is a plywood piece that will shorten the length of the bed, so the debri will not go to the very front of the bed, as these trucks would have difficulty and be dangerous if overloaded.but they look pretty much the same....I will note the little mirrors and usually no back window, useless on a cargo truck anyway alot of the time, in my truck i would stand on the running board and back her out of tight spaces like the farm boys of yesteryear. but one sure can get used to those little mirrors if one wants to, like anything else just do it enough...Randy

Last edited:

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
...this perticular truck pictured the 352 has "bud" wheels in the "front" for duellys up there when placing artillary and or towing in difficult conditions...
Actually, the quoted information is a little misleading. The Budd rims on the front are there simply because they match the ones on the rear so that only one type/size of spare tire is required. While it is possible to install dual rims/tires on the front axle (and it has indeed been done), it plays holy heck with steering. With two wheels on each end of the front axle, the truck will want to go straight ahead and turning the steering wheel takes considerable effort. Once you get the wheels turned, you have to crank them back the hard way, because the duals will nearly cancel out the self-centering ability of the designed steering geometry. You certainly wouldn't want to install them for use on the highway!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one for sale in florida with the ring mount. I can give contact info interested

bambambam22

I can not find where to put this for sure so if it is in the wrong place please tell me where to put it. Thank God I found this site, I am just beginning to learn and try to buy a 6X6 and I would welcome any information anyone would be willing to teach me. I want a 6x6 for hunting and camping and driving around turning heads. If anyone would be able to tell me which one would be the best to try and purchase I would be grateful. 1. First what is the difference in these and others that are not listed here Kaiser-Jeep, AM General, GMC M135? 2. Is there a best one to look for? 3. One with a winch is a good thing, right? 4. Can I get tubeless tires and NON split rim wheels? 5. Why are there so many for sale? 6. I found the government liquidation site that you have on the left side of your web site and they require an End User Certificate and approval to purchase is this normal? 7. Is there any hidden costs to buying from a site like this like a huge tax? 8. There just seams to be some kind of something that I don’t know about that bites you in the behind after you buy one of these trucks since they seam to be so cheap for what you get. I am sorry for so many questions but the auction is 5/19-5/21 and I have to learn as much as I can as fast as I can and I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can share. 9. Are they as much fun as they look? 10. Why would I want to display my birth date? First thought is it is not a very good idea. 11. Did I put this in the right place if not can you tell me where to put this message?

This is the wrong section, this section is for WWII era Deuces.
Go to the forum section and read threads from the Deuce section, many of your questions will be answered.
Don't rush into a purchase, there will be more sales, do your research first.

Two Dogs

the cckw 352 most produced vehicle in WWII was in every theater of the war hard to find good luck!
-Curtis
Over 800,000 2.5 ton trucks were produced during WW2, the majority, 562,750 were built by GMC of which just under 22,000 were the SWB CCKW352 gun tractor which was designed to tow the 105mm gun/howitzer as used by Field Artillery regiments , the remainder were built by IHC and Studebaker, REO also produced some of the Studebakers under licence. The Internationals were used by the USN and Marine Corps and apart from some used on the Alcan Highway the Studebakers were supplied on Lend Lease to a number of countries, principally Russia.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks