• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling in Mass.

fabiodriven

So I just won my first deuce today in a government auction at a high bid of $1532.00. This is my first time doing something like this and some guys (from another forum) are telling me I should be scared about titling, fees, taxes, and even if the truck will actually get released to me! Does anybody know what I'll be looking at roughly for fees? Does anybody know someone at Ft. Drum who can "hold my hand" when I get there? Is this going to be as painful as they make it seem?

papercu

Does anybody know what I'll be looking at roughly for fees?
If you got it from G/L they will be charging you 10% plus tax and if you need a SF 97 that's another 60.00, Mass will charge at the least for a tag and you may have it inspected. You will need insurance before you drive it or a wrecker to haul it. And there is 50gal diesel tank to fill plus oil and batteries (takes two). Good luck, Wayne

scooter01922

ditto on the slow and painfull. The "releasing it to you" thing they are reffering to is the EUC i would be willing to bet. You need to fill it out in order for the govt to make sure you are who you say you are. It doesn't clear= no truck for you. Other than that its 10 % + tax and the 60 $ for teh sf97 like papercu said. To title it all you should need is some time and the sf97. Time because the DMV prob won't have a clue what the hell a M35A2 is. You are pretty well set on the recovery IMO, you already said you have a semi and landoll for the recovery and thats the hardest part. You won't have to worry about if it will start or anything cause you can just winch it on. Once you get your paperwork all set just setup a time to pickup, go there with your papers, haul your truck onboard and head home :)

LibertyDeuce

FabioDriven
Painful?? NO!!! Just frustrating. We've all been there and done that. In fact its so enjoyable most of go ahead and buy ALOT more green toys. Gluttons for enjoyable puinshment? YES!!

Enjoy your toy when you have it "released" and we're all here for you. CONGRATS!!
:-D

BillF

if Mass give you a hard time just "sell" it to a friend in NH, have them reg. it. Then you "buy" back that truck and take all of the NH paper work into the DMV to get your titile. your friend in NH can also get a title from NH with a little more work.

saquishmike

Here is what I know. I have 3 m v The 1st bought private sale so it had a mass title Won a 5 ton last year filled out the paper work went to chambersburg picked it up ( needed a jump) full fuel tanks drove it back to mass was raining that day all day weight stations all closed. I had a plate but left it on the passanger side floor . This fall it was time to put it on the road and went to my insurance agent and all was good , went to rmv and started off fine but at last minute the woman left and talked to her boss and said that the paper work was no good. I asked what part and she said that the sf 97 is not a title and I said its what the dealer gave me so on and so on. I left and called the agent and the next week the runner took the paper work and came back with no plates and more paper work, Now I need the state police to inspect it. It was time to call in a big favor a friend of mine dates a girl in rmv 2 days later plates a few weeks later Title. If I were you I would try to do a title service like International or like stated earlier find a friend in a state that does not require titles then change. The mass rmv is a royal pain in the . You feel good got a truck cheap then when you go to put on the road it gets hard and expensive. My 3rd truck was bought private and with title. Good luck

BEASTMASTER

iyeh, int title ser. is the way to go. try a friend in n.h. first. the dmv is a nightmare. i had one woman ,then she had to check with someone else, then he had to call boston, and then they said there had to be more than 5 serial #s. after 2 hrs they just wrote it up and said go to another office next time. some of them don't know what they are doing and some don't want to be bothered. they don't want to earn there money. hey sasquish, i'd really like to get with you and compare trucks.

fabiodriven

I have since sold my deuce due to unforeseen circumstances.

What I ended up doing is registering my truck in Maine. They do not require a title, but get every piece of paperwork you can find. I "sold" my truck to my buddy and then he "sold" it back to me, giving me a bill of sale. If I remember correctly, a bill of sale is required. You can register through the state of Maine or at a local town hall. I was required to register mine at the town hall where the truck was "garaged". You don't have to live in Maine but the vehicle must be "garaged" there, so you will need a friend with and address up there. Once you get it registered in Maine, all you have to do is transfer the reg over to Mass and they will make you a title. Believe me, it is not easy, but it can be done. It takes a lot of phone calls, some traveling, and a whole lot of persistence.

pwrwagonfire

When you get to the DMV, ask for a supervisor RIGHT AWAY. This is what I did, and this way you know the person is gonna know what they are doing. I ended up with a really nice guy, who apparently knew all about powerwagons and halftracks by chance

He was more than happy to help me out and call the state DOR (department of revune) which is who they need to call when the list price isn't in their computer.

No offence if anybody works there, but I have never found the normal people behind the counters here in mass (the non-supervisors) helpful at all...incredibly unpleasant actually

Uloadit

being in ma my self I need to get a title for a trailer i just won . Should i get the Florida title from government liquidation?

dependable

I have gotten several titles in Ma with a SF-97. Go to registry with properly fllled out; SF-97, GL invoice copy, RMV 1 form with stamp from your insurance company, if you are going to register it right away,( Stamp not necessary if just applying for title) And a blank check for title fee $60, sales tax (usually they go with sale price on MVs but will hose you with some mysterious book value if you happen to have and old diesel Mercedes or something) And I think it is $15 per thousand # GVW, if registering. I would add that the folks at the local RMV are pretty helpful and well informed, witch may not be the case everywhere.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks