• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Winch Questions

crusty68

I searched, but (maybe I missed it) I didn't find what I was looking for.

I was given a deuce winch. It is in poor shape, but I would like to make it work if possible. Here's a few questions:
Does the Cable wind out from the top of the drum?
Can someone cover operation? The handleon the pass. side is busted. What does it do/where can I get one?
Where can I get cable?

Thanks in advance

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, top.
The handle engages the shaft to the drum. You disengage the lever to allow the spool to freewheel and pay out cable by hand. There is also a small plunger that locks the drum from turning during road travel.
The cable is 1/2 and about 130 ft long. Google "wire rope" and your home town.

The handle is available from surplus dealers, just call around and shop price.

The winch is worth about $750 in good shape

crusty68

So there isn't anything special about the rope? I can just buy a bunch of it, swage some ends on and have a field day?

Do you guys know if the handle is cast steel? If so, I could fashion a nice custom handle to operate it. I am not looking for a restoration.

crusty68

Thanks for the quick replies. I am most likely not putting it on a deuce, so I won't need "as strong" of rope, but it would be nice to have a big factor of safety. For that matter, the winch alone is a big factor of safety:grin:

I guess that when I find a local supplier, then I will find out the strength and compare it to stock.

Again, thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks