• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some history on the use of filtered motor oil in the Deuce???

joesco

I have had very good success (so far) running a combination in of on-road diesel, filtered UMO and gas (87oct). I am even running it in the truck this winter, but have not driven it many miles. Only once did I have a problem starting him this NH winter.

Has anyone had ill-effects from the use of filter UMO over long-term use?

My observations on my cocktail of fuels are.... quieter running engine, a bit more smoke when cold and a bit less power. Other than that, no other problems or issues. I think filtering is the key to UMO use.

Let me know your thoughts? Thanks!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you use to filter the UMO? I'm looking into getting a deuce and had seen an earlier post talking about it and was curious. What type of ratio of UMO to unleaded do you use?

Boatcarpenter

joesco,
I've been running on road diesel and junkyard very bad gas that I filter twice through regular in line fuel filters. The gas is not particularly dirty, just very old. I then add cheap 30wt oil at about 20:1. No UMO though. Truck runs great and starts right up. Plenty of power also. The mix of diesel to gas/oil mix I keep at about 50/50. Have fired her up in the 5-10 degree range with a bad flame heater I believe. When I hit the heater switch, all I get is more smoke but no pop when cranking so I think I'm not getting flame just more fuel. I've ordered a heater plug and filter and will service it when they arrive.
BC

BC

Pawnshop

I ran about 25 gal of UMO and 87 octane gas mixed 75/25 (UMO/gas) along with whatever diesel was in the tank already. I filtered the UMO/gas mix through a 5 micron sock filter before I put it in the tank. Right away I noticed that the truck was harder to start and needed some hand throttle to idle at 800rpm but otherwise I saw no change in performance. I figured the filter was clogged and that was creating the changes. When I cracked the valve to drain the primary nothing came out so I took the canister off and discovered several inches of black sludge in the bottom, I have no idea how long it had been since the housing was drained but the lesson was learned, I will drain it regularly from now on. With new filters and nothing but diesel in the tank it starts much easier but still needs the hand throttle to idle at 800.

My next batch of UMO will be mixed 50/50 with diesel which will make it thinner and easier to filter through the sock, but with diesel around here in the $2 range I just have not been motivated to mess with it.

I have a buddy who is going to give me some fancy synthetic oil out of his nitro drag boat motor, that stuff is clean so it doesn't have to be filtered, I am just going to pour it in.

Last edited:

scooter01922

Stretch is running 100% WMO, seems to be doing just fine, several other doing it too. Personally i would thin it at least a little in all but the warmest parts of the country.

Matt1970M35A

First time I run 100% I ran out of fuel in the middle of town and the cops wanted me to move it or they were going to tow me so I dumped in 20 gallons of filtered wast engine oil I had with me and it started and run great. Lots of black smoke. I did get on it preaty good.

joesco

I use a paper towel filter which filters into a 5 micron sock filter. I purchase several of them on Ebay. About 50%wmo, 25%diesel, 25% gas.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks