• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging question?

bus63kombi

This just started up tonight, Sitting at idle in Drive my GEN 2 light flickers a little, if you tap the gas the light comes on then right off, and then flickers lightly some more. Why would it flicker at idle and then come on when you tapped the gas? It doesn't flicker when you are in park.
And which alt is GEN 2?
Thanks

mangus580

Gen 2 is drivers side. When you are at idle in gear, you are running at the lowest possible RPM. It sounds like the alternator isnt spinning quite fast enough at idle in gear for it to fully activate. I would check your belt tension to see if its maybe a little loose. Otherwise, as long as it doesnt start coming on at other speeds, i wouldnt worry about it. Gen 1 handles 95% of the electrical in the CUCV, and Gen 2 only recovers the battery for starting. That being said, you should be fine as long as it charges at cruising speed.

bigginstactical

I know this is an old thread but I rebuilt my alt. and it only charges if I rev the engine up. At idle the needle is at or below the line between yellow and green. My gen lights don't come on when its running(they do before start so they are working fine). When driving I didn't see the gauge go above high yellow. My rear bat has 12.8 volts and front has 12.6. I rebuilt the passenger alt. Thinking I may do the drivers side now to see?

bigginstactical

I know that, what I meant was maybe a rebuild on the drivers side would bring the voltmeter up to the green? It has never been in the green before. Gen 2 had a melt down so I had to rebuild and it did bring the needle up from low yellow to high yellow. Gen 1 has rblt. 99 on it. Thats why I'm thinking it may just be pushing low voltage.... I don't have any experience with dual alts. Gen 1 reads 13.2 ish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks