• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing Pintle questions...

rmgill

Ok, so I went to pick up a trailer from a local MVer who has one for sale. We had various issues but the key one was that the Lunette eye wouldn't go over the pintle on my Deuce! He'd had it working on his and it had be ground down slightly to fit but my 2.5 ton won't take the lunette eye. So I need to get a new pintle for that trailer before I can take possession of it.

What size should really work? I'll be measuring it when I get home so it should be a simple thing. But it was just at too small to go over the end of the pintle, which seemed odd. What's the variance between the 2 1/2" and 3" ID lunette eyes?

Now, the second question. A local army/navy store has some pintles for sale off the back shelf (been there for years). I want to fix one up to the front bumper to act as an easy method of pushing trailers around. I don't however want to bend my bumper. How much steel should I put behind the bumper to brace it and what configuration should I use? Do I want to unmount the bumper and put the extra metal braces between the bumper and the mounts with longer bolts?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This truck didn't have any reinforcing, if I recall correctly.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We installed one on Drat's truck. And it will push his trans shelter with no problem. The bumper is thick enough by it's self.
Witch trailor did you get? Anything less than a 105 uses a smaller pindle.

rmgill

Its a 10,000 gvw short length beaver tail. It'll hold a Ferret just fine. But a HMMWV is too big for it. It's just heavy enough un-loaded that me and the former owner can move it around, barely....It probably needs the bearings serviced (I'm going to have a busy Christmas).

ajg6989

when I was at fort hood several of us had to load towed 105s into c-130 so we had a pintle added to the front bumper of the deucce we had to tow them was alot easier pushing the 105s into the c-130s and pulling them out that way

rmgill

Any need for bracing with the 1.5 ton weight of the loaded trailer? (I'm assuming they were close to capacity...). I figure this empty vehicle trailer will weigh about that.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks