• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arctic Heater Kits

mangus580

Well, I made the trek to Canada today to pick up the heater kit for my 1009, and my buddy's 1028...

Think I put on right about 400 miles, averaged 17.25 mpg. Left at about 8am, was home (kinda had to make a stop) by around 4pm or so. I was suprised to only be at customs for 3 minutes!

Looking at the kit, I have enough paper and cardboard to heat my house for a week :)

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good grief, now THAT'S a heater kit

mangus580

Was all I could do to fit 2 of them in the 1009!! Put one whole crate in, packed all the boxes from the other everywhere I could... and I still had to leave the tailgate down, and put 2 boxes on it!

mangus580

Well, there is 2 heaters in the kit, and alot of insulation. these particular kits are actually for the 'chassis truck' and the shelter carriers. One heater is a diesel coolant heater. This is used to assist in warming the engine up for starting, good to temps down to -50 degrees f. the heater heats the coolant, and the exhaust from the heater goes through the oil pan and tranny pan to warm them as well. The other heater is a diesel powered air heater. This is used to warm the batteries prior to starting, and then can be switched over for heating the cab for those really cold temps. The insulation goes on the floor of the cab, and inside the hood. There is also a grill blanket included.

Hope this helps...

Sam27

Oops, I didn't read the title that said "arctic heater kits". duh.

Anyway, that sounds cool. So they plumb into the gas tank somehow for fuel? How long do they recommend running the heaters before firing up? Where do you mount all that stuff? How much did it cost? :wink:

I assume more pictures will be forthcoming as the install progresses.

By the way, can you tell how much clearance gets taken up on the bottom of the oil pan? That would be a concern for off-roading.

mangus580

Yeah, the plumb into a T that is already in the frame rail (from what I can tell)

Not sure how long to run them.... I will dig out the instruction decal tomorrow, and take a pic of it.

Looks like the oil pan gains about 2" to the bottom... I am not sure if I will be switching mine....

Dieselsmoke

mangus580 said:
Yeah, the plumb into a T that is already in the frame rail (from what I can tell)

Right rear wheel well there is a capped off line already there. The actual 1009 kit has a TON of insulation along with a heavy insulated canvas cover that goes over the removable top(but not very practical) there is so much that comes with these kits it's unbelievable. I picked up one of these kits a while back, never installed it just thought it was cool with all the nice NOS parts :)

hot rod deuce

Hey, if you need any odds and ends let me know i just got back with TEN of these kits from Ed and am not going to use all of the exta "CRAP" as customs puts it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks