• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 intercom

h1crwchf

I am getting ready to install a VIC-1 intercom and I am looking for some installation/placement ideas. Has anyone installed a VIC in a Deuce and if yes, can you post some pictures of the placement of the amp and control boxes? I have some ideas but I would like to see what other people have done. Thanks

Dave

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got lots of images! Also, check MVM December 2004 issue for an article.
I have the CB tied in (except for talking) and in the picture below the radio mount can be seen for a future RT-524 radio.
Let us know how it turns out. Mine is working great. :)

Bjorn
MVPA19212

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one in my tractor. Long since been sold. There are 2 captured nuts on the firewall just forward of the shifter. I think this might have been for the heater or something. One is about an inch higher that the other. I made a drop down tab for the high one and mounted my AM-1780 right there. The C-2298s were mounted right on the tunnel on either side of the shifter. My original install was to be temporary but it stayed there until it was removed permanantly. Worked pretty good and I made a 2500 mile trip without issues. As for why it was removed, the H-161 headsets were just to dang hot here in FL. Now I use Peltor Powercom headsets for an intercom and communications between vehicles. Sorry, no pics of the install.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are out of the way this way. The headset and all cables are behind me, out of the way.
Once the knobs are set there are no more changes required. The headsets are also hung up
behind the passenger(s) and me on hooks on the cab top frame. Wires/cables are never a hazzle.
The CB is in the front under the dash.
The on-off switch for all electronics is now on the MX-7778 suppressor box visible in the top photo.
When I drive alone, which is most of the time, the companion seat is folded down.
Bjorn

h1crwchf

Great pics

Thanks Bjorn!! Those are great pics! I was going to throw everything under the seat but I like that better! Any interference between the passenger seat back and the control boxes?

Dave

hot rod deuce

Alright im not sure why im always the one that wants what i cant have but is there a way to get this set up for 6 people? I have been looking around and was going to start buying but decided that some one (Bjorn comes to mind) Might just pop up with a magic answer parts list. anyway i was thinking maybe i could put two together? problem is the torch wont get me outa this one and i realy didnt wana buy just to play only to fry it. or is there one that is set up for 6?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The control boxes (like the C-2298) have one connector on each side. They can be connected "daisychain" like since the wiring goes right thru.
The C-2298 is the small box you see in the pictures above. Each crew member/station has one. Don't think there is a limit to the number used in a system. They each has a preamplifier and connectors for headsets.
The cable you will need for them is the CX-4723 and they come up to 20 ft long.
Instead of the headset you can connect a handset (like a telephone receiver) to the C-2298. The handset could be H-189/GR.
Bjorn

CGarbee

You know, I'd really like to have a parts list for what Bjorn has got installed in his truck (just for the VIC-I setup)... You know, just a list of all the numbers off the boxes and cables so that when I'm at swap meets and such I can pick up the parts if I see them and then oneday, perhaps, have all the pieces to copy his setup in my M35A2C...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go Cabell! AM-1780 is the amp, you need one! C-2298 or the C-10456 are the boxes. One needed for each station. CX-4720 is the power cable used for intercom power only, numerous lengths available. CX-4723 are the cables used to connect the cotrol boxes to the amp. Need one for each station, various lengths available. Lastly H-161 headets. Ther are -CU, -DU and so forth. Farther down the alphabet, the newer the headsets. Lots of NOS ones out there but most have decomposed padding inside the ear pads. That gets you going. One other thought, the C-10456 boxes have an extra plug on the bottom, if the cap for the plug is missing, the box won't work. Also cables do fail so buy accordingly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooops, I also think Bjorn has the MX-7777 surge protector on his truck, I never used one on mine!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see, there are many different options as far as headset/handsets and the control boxes.
Check the article in MVM Dec 2004 for a complete description and parts lists.

The Radio interconnect is may next project. The MT-1029 base is mounted as can be seen in image above.

Bjorn

h1crwchf

VIC 1 Parts list

CGarbee said:
You know, I'd really like to have a parts list for what Bjorn has got installed in his truck (just for the VIC-I setup)... You know, just a list of all the numbers off the boxes and cables so that when I'm at swap meets and such I can pick up the parts if I see them and then oneday, perhaps, have all the pieces to copy his setup in my M35A2C...
Here is the parts list:

AM 1780 Amplifier (this is the main junction box)
C 2298 Control box (this is the standard crew station)
CX 4720 Power cable (connects power from vehicle to 1780)
CX 4723 cable (connects control boxes to 1780)
H 161 Headset with boom mic

C 2297 Control box- This is a "driver's" control box but you can just use a 2298, you do not "need" a 2297. You can substitute the C 2298 with a C 10456. The 10456 is basically the same thing as a 2298 but it is from an M1 abrams.

Take a look at where you want to place the boxes in your vehicle and check distances for cable length!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a good idea to include the MX-7777 suppressor in your system.
It provides reverse polarity protection among other things, which the VIC-1 doesn't have built in.
This unit requires its own set of cables and can be seen in one image of my install above (next to the door).

Oh, yeah, if you use the C-10456 control box,make sure that you have the plug with the jumpers installed.

Bjorn

h1crwchf

Important safety tip

Oh, yeah, if you use the C-10456 control box,make sure that you have the plug with the jumpers installed.

Bjorn[/quote]

Thanks for adding that Bjorn. That is the plug on the bottom of the 10456 control box. I was fortunate that they were included with mine. I was reading about that after I purchased the parts! Didn't know anthing about it!!
I would have been seriously disappointed after installing everything only to find it didn't work because of a little plug!

Dave

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Important safety tip

h1crwchf said:

Bjorn
Thanks for adding that Bjorn. That is the plug on the bottom of the 10456 control box. I was fortunate that they were included with mine. I was reading about that after I purchased the parts! Didn't know anthing about it!!
I would have been seriously disappointed after installing everything only to find it didn't work because of a little plug!

Dave[/quote]

Didn't I point that out about 7 posts up from here?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, going back I can see your post. It was posted at the same time I posted mine
and I never even saw yours until just now.
No intent to ignore your advise. Sorry if it looked that way.

Bjorn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks