• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just another new guy from LA

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's LA, not L.A., I live about 45 min. north of Baton Rouge on the MS/LA line.
I've been lurking a couple of years, and just recently joined when I decided to stop dreaming and buy some old militiary iron from GL. I've been collecting M1 Garands and Mausers, but now need some rolling stock.

I was an early, low bidder on the tow bars in Texarkana, then decided it would be better to just buy a ~30 foot gooseneck trailer to haul my booty (I'm justifying the trailer to haul round bales for our horses).

I did win two M101 trailers at Ft. Polk last week and am awaiting EUC approval to pick them up. I plan to put my two hurricane generators on one of them, along with the empty fuel cans and power cords.

I'm waiting on money and opportunity for a M35A2 truck, neither of which is available now. That's probably a good thing, because I would probably bid on one of the 50 trucks at auction this week at Camp Dodge, and it would be a 2000 mile round trip. That auction only has a 2-hour preview period for all 50 trucks. That's less than 2.5 min per truck! Good luck to you that will get them.

2027Deuce

Welcome aboard. So you won a couple of carts but no horse? You may already be addicted and there is no cure, just this site. Good luck on the truck search.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are in luck, because lots of nice trucks come out of Camp Beuregard in Pineville, which is not that far from you. Go down there any weekday to bldg 494, tell the Sgt you want to preview the GL stuff, they will send you across the creek to look. Read threads on "M820" for someone's "drive home" recovery story from there . . . If you come with a trailer, be prepared to close your eyes when you get loaded out with a 20K RT loader. It ain't pretty.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
welcome to this wonderfull site. another la man is super. im over east of baton rouge in ponchatoula. about half way between BR and slidell. with more an more la members id say we can have us a mini rally too. i usually do a BBQ for some members to come an see eveyones rides so lets hope you can get together with us somewhere. Tim

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the welcome

From my lurking, I knew this was a good group.

I had to sell one of my (4-legged) mules to buy the two M101s, and only got 1/2 of what I paid 15 months ago. Horses and cows are dirt cheap now, but you still have to feed them. Once you have your Deuce, there is no further costs, right? :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks