• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Carnage!

M1075

Kenny-

Thanks for the lead. I have found a front axle off a 900 series that I plan to use. Do I just switch the hubs?

M1075

It was a little surprising to me to see it break off like that. There was no weight (feeder was empty) and the terrain wasn't that severe. Just a little too much speed.

DUUANE

glad to hear you're ok after that.kinda makes me think twice about combining m35 axles and 16r20's...all that extra weight might not be a good thing.and ummm...just how fast were you going?
thats one heck of a faliure with no load.
is there any indication of previous damage or an old crack?
it totally blows my mind that it could just shear off like that.
you'd think they would've engineered it to deform before suffering a catastrophic faliure.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, that's a clean break!
When the axle housing failed, then the axle took the whole load and it's not designed to carry any load except for turning/twisting, I guess.
The axle housing supports the load. It must have had some defect if the speed wasn't excessive.
Perhaps the housing was already cracked...
Images of the M923 series front axle below.

Bjorn

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075, you can just swap out the brakes. Hold on to that air stuff though. One day you might want to switch to air and the 5 ton is much more cost effective to swith than a decue.

m.walker

wow!!!

As long as your ok you can always fix the truck! I heard the air brake front axles are worth big bucks, if you didn't fix it yet I've got a 5 ton front end , we could do some trading on (tires,wheels ?)PM me . I'm going out of town but I'll be back sat. (maybe) . The break has some dark spots that look like it was already cracked or weak there , as opposed to the shiny areas. mark

M1075

Well, I learned a few lessons on this one. I have confirmed what I always thought, "I need a wrecker!". I should have bought Bruce's 900 when I had the chance. It was a real chore dragging the truck home with a loader. I hope to get a new axle this weekend and get to work on an install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks