• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with Bumperette markings on M38A1

Dave M38A1

I have a 1955 M38A1 and need help figuring out the unit markings on the rear bumperettes. The left bumperette has USAR. I assume this to mean US Army Reserve? Was this common? I haven't seen any more with this on the web. The right has A-111. I figure this must be Alpha Co. 111th. The other numbers are unreadable. Since previous owners said it probably stayed in the Va, area all it's life, closest match found on web is 29th Infantry Div, 111th Field Artillery Batallion, A company in Richmond Va. Is this logical? How would the bumperettes read? Under the USAR should there be F 29? and under the A-111 , the vehicle number?

Thanks,

Dave

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Frankly that doesn't make sense.

The 29th ID is a Army National Guard unit and would unlikely have USAR on the bumperette. On the right is usually only the company and the vehicle number not the regiment number.

The difference in time is the question but today it would be

29 ID 1-111 FA A-111

Some may have VAARNG over the 29 ID 1-111 FA. They may leave off the FA.

BobM

I went thru your album. That is a fine jeep you have there and you are doing a great job of restoring it. Give yourself a pat on the back from me!:-D

Dave M38A1

O.K., The USAR on the right bumperette makes no sense. May have been added later. In cleaning up the engine and replacing the master cylinder, I found a rebuild tag on the engine block it says Serial NO MD-95556. Overhauled at FT. BNNG GA. 17 Date 4 ? ? 7. Bore std. Rods std mains std. The right rear bumperette A-111 means Alpha Co. 111th vehicle. Now I have to find an Alpha Co. from the 1955 period at Ft. Benning Ga. that had at least 111 vehicles. Any ideas on units at Ft. Benniing during that ear? I'll try researching Ft. Benning and see if they have a unit historian. Is the 17 the person who rebuiilt the engine? Since it's a 55 I would expect the 6 to be a 66, or 76.

Thanks,

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks