• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38a1/cj5???

jerseyjello

I have a jeep, sold to me as a 1964 M38A1, upon doing some work on it (replacing fuel pump, rebuild carb, spark plugs, brake work,ect.) I think it may be a combination of a cj5 and m38a1.......or it could just be a cj5.

So what I can say about it; it has 134 F head motor, 3 speed, twin stick transfer case, metal hard top, someone changed it to 12v, pretty much everything seems to civy about it. Was wondering does a cj5 rear diff have the pumpkin off set to the right side??? Or is this a m38a1 trait???

Any how I am selling this jeep but want to list it correctly so any help would be great!!! I will try to put up some pictures later. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at your engine serial number, military engines start with "M". Look at the front frame(between the bumper and the grille), is it open "C" channel or is it boxed? Military should be boxed. Does your body have a tail gate? Military has no tail gate. Do you have a battery box in the cowl, or is it under the hood. Military body has it in the cowl. Do you have a data plate? Is your gas cap, huge? Pictures would help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR, can you explain that?

My M38a1 has replacement shackles(I think). I also just picked up a 64 CJ5, that has springs that look like military springs.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
M38a1's had the shackle at the rear of the front spring, but at some point CJ5's started being built with the shackles at the front end of the spring. so, if it has front shackles it probably isn't an M38a1 (anything can be changed of course)

rreng

I had and rebuilt (from the frame up)both a 1956 CJ% and a M38A1. i would first check the battery compartment to see if the lid is removable, and then check the wiring type/color(assuming that when it was converted to 12V they used the same wiring). More than likely you might find that it is a combo of both models of Jeep (due to parts availability), Unless the Jeep belonged to a MV enthusiast. I've seen a # of "military jeeps" for sale that seem to be a lot more of a CJ than military.

Crunchy

M38A1's have the glovebox on the left, CJ5's on the right

M38A1's have a flat plate, about 8x10 just over the rear diff housing on the frame crossmember for the machine gun mount. CJ's didn't have that.

M38A1's have a 9" or so diameter 'hole' in the right side of the body, just forward of the windshield frame about where your knees would be for the Aux Slave plug. CJ's didn't have that.

M38A1 blocks were stamped with the prefix "MDxxxxx" on a flat boss of the top of the block just under the thermostat housing. CJ's didn't have the MD stamp.

So..... That covers the dash, body, frame and engine for some quick pointers to see if you have an M38A1 or CJ.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks