• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO and then some.

I used to work at a Firestone Auto Care place. I am welcome to take as much used oil as I want. I understand filtering it to 5 microns or less, but what worries me is that since working there, I know its not all oil. There's oil, ATF, gear lube, P/S fluid, brake fluid, and some coolant.

I'm not too concerned with the first 4, but the brake fluid and coolant worry me. Would this be OK to burn in a deuce?

Hammer

Small amounts of brake fluid is ok. The coolant is what you will need to filter out with a water separator type filter.

wdbtchr

Sounds like a plan to me. I find anything that burns will work. I've been running virtually straight WMO for about 2 years now with no problems. About the only thing I haven't tried is brake flulid. DOT 3 would probably mix with any coolant and settle I would think, and I wouldn't expect to see that much DOT 5 in domestic use. 2cents.

stampy

Coolant should settle on the bottom. Filter or centrifuge it to clean it. I would blend it 50% with diesel and then ever increasing amounts to make sure you have no problems.

stampy

I won't promise anything but I would be willing to bet you guys change a heck of a lot more motor oil than brake fluid (volume basis) so lets just figure 75% oil and 25% brake fluid, from what I have seen auto trans fluid runs great so no issue there. If you dilute it 50/50 then the mix is only max 12.5% brake fluid in your lines. I would prefilter to pick up all the large trash before you put it in your tank. I use a centrifuge to get the small stuff. As with anything you know your situation and you have to use your own judgement as we are not there to see what comes out of your shop tank. I run WVO in my diesel Benz for over a year blended with diesel, no conversion but I do centrifuge it which seems to remove some of the heavies. I am just now starting to look at WMO for my deuce. I have produced Biodiesel (B100) and plan on using it in my vehicles also.:-D

stampy

Another thought is to get a 2 liter and fill it with a mixture of new motor oil coolant, brake fluid Auto trans fluid and gear lube and shake it up to see how it separates. Because the used stuff you get may all be one color. Just my 2 cents worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks