• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Lift Tool

GoHot229

Were talking about the creeper like tool that jacks up the tire/wheel so you can then pull tire/wheel/hub off of the Duce (and others) What have members found to be a suitable method of a homade type lift? The whole question arises from an alignment issue which by the way in the TM's For Alignment are TM #9-2320-209-20-3-2 So to do everything correctly, I feel that I should adress the wheel bearings first, and their tightness, along with repacking them, and follow the TM's instructions so as to get as true a TOE IN as possable. Pulling the wheels is such a pain as we all know and many of us have no air gun or wrench breakers sufficient for the task. So I was picking the brains of those who might have invinted some sort of device to use as a Wheel Lift Tool ? .......shopping carts come to mind......err...better shut up now.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you referring to the wheel jack? That is, the device whereby you can wheel away the whole jack with one tire or the duals on it? I have one and it is for sale. Pick up only in MD...or I might be able to get it to Aberdeen. $85 is what I am asking and it is what I paid Joe Young for it. It is in nice shape...the jack works properly...but it has some surface rust...not alot...just some. The only thing that might need replacing is the safety rope that holds the wheels to the jack. This is only braided rope with a hook. I have the rope and hook...it is just fraying.

M1key

This may sound dumb, but I was wondering if a hydraulic pallet jack would work for pulling the duals and hub from a duce? The spacing on a pallet jack is pretty wide.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It probably would work. The wheel jack I have fits the 900, 1100 and 1400 tires perfectly. It might also work with 1600s...but I have not tried.

This may sound dumb, but I was wondering if a hydraulic pallet jack would work for pulling the duals and hub from a duce? The spacing on a pallet jack is pretty wide.
Works Perfectly!!!!!!

even keeps the gear oil that may have leaked thru the cork gasket in the wheel and not all over where ou put the disassembled drum.

I was able to get disassembly/bearing repack/reassembly down to 20 minutes per axle end using a pallet jack.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

That's exactly what I use, a standard pallet jack. The tires cradle between the "forks" like it's made for it. Works great.

rottiedog

Also (stealing post) what do you guys use to jack up these things. I had to use two jacks and a bunch of pieces of wood to get it high enough to get the motorcycle jack under the tire.

Looking around, not too many jacks go high enough. Mine goes to 21 inches max.

GoHot229

Also (stealing post) what do you guys use to jack up these things. I had to use two jacks and a bunch of pieces of wood to get it high enough to get the motorcycle jack under the tire.

Looking around, not too many jacks go high enough. Mine goes to 21 inches max.
Your run of the mill Harbor Freight type '3 ton' jack was quite sufficient when I was jacking up the duce, however it was close to the limit. I'd suggest a '5 ton' jack really, as the price difference is not really that much. As far as height, its likely with blocks under the bottle jack to arive at a starting point just n'ths away from the axle and the piston will usually extent 8-10"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks