• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Hero Reunites with Long Lost C-47

BrianMoreland

My grandfather Dawson "Hank" Moreland was a WWII pilot who flew the Snafu Special, and dropped paratroopers over France. The C-47 had been lost for several decades until it was recently found in Bosnia and then returned to a museum in Normandy. Last June, I got to go over to Normandy with my 90-year-old grandfather to see his airplane. His was given a grand welcome. I shot video and produced it into a short documentary called RETURN TO NORMANDY. You can read my grandfather's amazing story and watch the video for free at
http://brianmoreland.blogspot.com/2008/08/war-hero-returns-to-normandy.html

Brian Moreland, author of the WII thriller SHADOWS IN THE MIST

www.BrianMoreland.com

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Was this C47 actually in Bosnia or was it at Zagreb Airport? I remember seeing one in Zagreb and always wondered about it but never had the time to check it out.

I think I have pictures of it from across the tarmac somewhere.

diseased

I always am glad to see/hear the story of those who have come before us and allowed us to be able to live as we can today. My hat is off, I have nothing but gratitude. Beautiful!

BrianMoreland

I never got the name of the airport. But I did meet the French team who went to Bosnia, disasembled the plane and brought it over to Merville, Normandy. I have pictures of them at my blog which is linked in the opening post.

randyw69

Very cool! It makes all the history come to life & realize that things that happened in the past are more than just stories!
I thank him for his service!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks