• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newer style headset adapter

ida34

Those two prongs look like an airplane aviation headset. Are you sure it is military? The newer noise canceling headsets for use with the Vic-3 have an extra pin on the same old connector. That pin provides 24 volts to the ANR circuitry. I am going to modify a vic-1 box to work with the newer ANR headsets but the headset pictured above is not the same animal.

ida34

Boatcarpenter emailed me the link. After looking at the website here is what I think.

I call false advertising. Or more likely, uninformed advertising. They may be new, as in not used but they are aviation headsets from the 80's or possibly the early 90's. I have some telex 1400 headsets and they have similar features. The square ear cups and rigid mike boom really show the date on these. Below is the only web reference I could find on the 2400A. It is from a ham who picked it up used and modified it to work with his ham radio. I could not find anything on it on the Telex website. If it was a "new" military item then it would be listed on the website at least. Aviation headsets have a 1/4 plug and a 1/8 plug and the connections are right next to each other. One is for the mike and the other is for the headphones. Most modern aviation headphones have a twin wire boom mike with ball joints. The also have stereo headphone connections on almost all newer headsets and that one looks like a mono connection in the picture.

Here is the link

Last edited:

ida34

I have one of the Vic-3 anr headsets and can't wait to try it out this summer. Look for one then do a search for my instructions for converting the Vic-1 station.

The spell checker must have put in uniformed instead of uninformed. Oops.

CanonNinja

I have one of the Vic-3 anr headsets and can't wait to try it out this summer. Look for one then do a search for my instructions for converting the Vic-1 station.

The spell checker must have put in uniformed instead of uninformed. Oops.

you got the Bose/Racal headsets working finally? Sweet!

ida34

No. Not yet but I have the newer connector with the extra pin and have found a place to tap the power from in the crew box. When I do the conversion I will post a thread on it. My cucv floor is taking all my time right now and the deuce does not get to be a priority until I start the show and parade season. I guess you could say I did my research, got the parts, and now I just need to get my but in gear and do some soldering.

Cdub

Hi BC,

I think if you stick with the H-161 series head sets for use on the VIC-1 you'll be much better off. They are not that expensive compaired to most. Good Luck........

Cheers,

Craig

taylordc15

Does anyone know how to make these headsets with the two prong plug work with a VIC1 control box or cable to eliminate the pesky snap type "bailout" connectors?
That looks like a civilian aviation headset to me, all the military ones I have flown with are the single prong. I just got a radio that came with an adapter to plug the single prong head sets into that works with the vic-1 the adapter is stamped "THE MAGNAVOX CO TEST ADAPTER MX-9530/ARC. Don't know where you can find them but if you did aviation supply stores have the adapter to make the two prong into one.

Attachments

Cdub

Yup Craig, I've got three of them hooked up already and they work fine. Once in a while though the "bailout" connectors bailout when you least expect it.
BC
Yea Man........you sure are right about that.........I find them to be the weak link in the system myself.

I like to use the H-161 ' F ' model with the Nexus type of connector.

Cheers,

C'dub

Attachments

Is the H-161 headset the only one you can use with the VIC-1 setup? What are the other options someone can use that are just plug and play? I'm looking for a headset option with the boom micophone? Anyone know?

papakb

I just picked up one of the new Bose Triport tactical headsets and it has the same miserable bailout connector on it. The nice thing is is that it has active noise reduction and comfortable earpads. They'll work with anything a U229 connector will fit on. This means most mil radios and all of the C22XX boxes in the VIC-1 system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks