• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Video competion between morse and texting

ida34

From Jay Leno. This video is a competition two hams using morse and two guys using text messaging to see what technology is faster. Check it out it is pretty cool. Especially for the other hams in the house.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQaXjqfAgkQ[/media]

Militoy

Very cool - I wish I could copy code at that speed. My daughter pointed out that the "texter" didn't seem to be equipped with the "proper" phone for texting - and I did note that the ham was using a paddle instead of a straight key - but this one is a classic.

Of course, the most important point (that Leno missed) is that under severe atmospheric and ground conditions, when cellular and satellite technology has failed for whatever reason, CW Morse code will be the most reliable way of cutting through the static and communicating. Even a "peanut whistle" of a few hundred milliwatts is possible to be received clearly in countries thousands of miles away (conditions allowing).

ida34

There is a longer clip also. The guy texting won a texting competition and is called the fastest texter because of the win. He was not just a guy from the audience. I noticed he did not have a qwer keyboard but he must be good enough with the regular keyset. At least good enough to win the competion that I have never heard of.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Many, Many moons ago I had my Amateur license, and a Heathkit tranceiver with a dipole antenna. It was fun using Morse code. Callsign was KA8HJR

Cool Video :-D

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool to see. Right on as far as "What if....." ya know? All I know is SOS. Have used it when broken down at night with my headlights and have had folks stop and say they recognized it and wanted to help....

eyesofthunder

I am a ham and seen some people silly fast on Morse Code, the texters never stood a chance..... I have seen guys doing 70 wpm CW, no way going to do that on a cell phone...

I could do 15 or so on a J38 straight key and 50+ on a keyer. Couldn't receive worth jack, but sending was easy....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks