• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Australia

bullcatcher

Hi there.

I found this site about a year ago when I was searching for a 6WD off-road truck. I've since bought an M945 but I don't know that much about it apart from what I've learned on this great site. It's got the Cummins and Allison auto that actually downshifts as you back off and is overbuilt to heck. I love it, even if the steering wheel is on the wrong side!

I pulled the big A-frame off the rear and all the hydraulics too. Then after plenty of searching and reading I finally felt I was ready to tackle the single wheel conversion on the tandem. Went well for a while, everything is in real good shape for a 22 year old truck. Got the hub turned around with the brake drum back on and it's all looking like it's gonna line up perfect with the front wheel when.....I notice the brake shoes are not under the drum anymore :!:

So it's back to SS to see what to do about it.

I haven't found much reference to an M945. Is this an unusual model or something?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M945 is fairly unusual. They did not make that many bridge trucks. They are very cool trucks. As you said...very beefy. I believe they have the double frame in the back.

Just curious...where did you get yours? A couple came up in PA a few years back. I've also seen a few on eBay.

bullcatcher

The M945 is fairly unusual. They did not make that many bridge trucks. They are very cool trucks. As you said...very beefy. I believe they have the double frame in the back.

Just curious...where did you get yours? A couple came up in PA a few years back. I've also seen a few on eBay.
I bought it off an importer here in Australia. They told me it came off a US army base in Italy. It's only done 7000 miles!

Apparantly there is a SWB prime mover (semi or fifth wheel) version that would be pretty cool too.

bullcatcher

Not sure where to post this newb question so I'll put it in here and hope someone can help.

I've done hours of searching and can't find what I'm looking for. What section should my truck be in?

Can someone point me in the right direction with the single wheel swap? I've successfully turned the hub around (which is a fantastic idea to design into a bearing hub) after pressing out the wheel studs and then pressing them back in. Mounted the hub and brake drum back on the axle and tightened the hub nut. It all looks good and lines up with the front hub but the brake shoes are still in the original position and I can't see for the life of me how to fix that.
Either the brake drum has to be mounted back in it's original location somehow or the whole brake setup has to re-mounted further outboard under the drum.

Anybody?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks