• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running Moonshine???

Bigred77

Ok so im new to the whole multi-fuel thing, but I am a diesel mechanic by trade and have been for some time. I bought my very first deuce recently and im enthused. Ive been running some WMO (not very much though) and am really excited about the idea of running other fuels. I also know quite a bit about making moonshine (cough cough), and after you make said moonshine if you dilute it with kerosene it is considered ethanol and is completely legal as long as you have the proper permits (very easy to get here in KY). has anyone tried running it in a multi yet?

Last edited:

scooter01922

I bet it would run fine BUT that would be very dry fuel and as a result hard on the IP in particular. Add the right stuff to keep things lubed and why not.

Bigred77

what about a WMO, Waste atf, diesel, kerosene or gasoline mix? not so much gasoline of course, less dry more lube. Always need more lube lol

Last edited:

scooter01922

Well lets put it this way, the general consensus that i have got is that for prolonged operation it isn't good to run more than 50% gasoline. I would think that moonshine is a good deal dryer than gas so you would prob need to use it more as an additive rather than fuel :-( Hmmm, there has to be some way to bring up the lube and not take up too much of a percentage. Sure others will chime in on this one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethanol as a fuel (gasoline engines, not diesel) must be 99.9% pure, no water content.
Moonshine is probably at best 70 or 80 % pure and must be distilled many times to make it fuel grade.

In any case, diesels, including multifuel engines don't like alcohol.
If you want to make your own fuel use veggie oil or make biodiesel if the VO isn't good enough by itself....

powerhouseduece

Ethanol as a fuel (gasoline engines, not diesel) must be 99.9% pure, no water content.
Moonshine is probably at best 70 or 80 % pure and must be distilled many times to make it fuel grade.

In any case, diesels, including multifuel engines don't like alcohol.
If you want to make your own fuel use veggie oil or make biodiesel if the VO isn't good enough by itself....

I would have to agree with you on the veggie oil. You CAN get ethanol down to 95%. BUT your not going to get it that far with just corn and yeast. Also the reflux still that you would need to build (a pot still wont give you the right %) would be very costly and complex. also, I thought that ethanol likes to retain water? That sounds like a little bit more trouble than its worth. I just stick with diesel and small amounts of waste motor oil.

I sure hope the ATF dosent read this. I plead the 5th!!!!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel is $2 a gallon, why bother?

Course, it might jump up again, it's worth it to find alternates. I still stay WMO is your best bet....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a known fact that it takes more energy to produce ethanol than it makes. The ethanol plants you see today would go broke if they weren't government subsidized. You'd be better off to sell the corn you raised and use the money to buy diesel.

GoHot229

Sort of a waste of 'shine' if it's of any quality, mabe flavored with pineapple or apple, .......anyway I digress, oh the fuel side of it ? Yea for now sell the shine and buy diesel, of course you'll have to put kerosine in it to .....you know..... nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean........awww.. I better just shu up......

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As stated above diesel is getting cheaper ( I paid $1.77 a gallon in GA yesterday) but I'm still a chea..........errrrrrr........frugal bastard and like to run on the least amount of Federal Reserve Notes as possible.
I am still blending veggie and WMO with straight diesel (and a little gasoline) to run my deuce. I made the trip to Papa Bears Non-rally yesterday running on "Wreckerman's Magical Deuce Elixer" and the deuce ran fine on it.
I agree with the posts about alcohol.......save the whisky for sipping and keep the deuce lubbed up and running on oil based fuel.

Verkstad

Us Norskies know a thing or so about moonshine too, It's not just Southland thing ...

Alcohol has low BTU content, I would be surprised if a multfuel would run on it. Aside from a fun experiment, I think if it did it's power so low it might do no more than shift about the forecourt.
Rgds.
Jakob

MilitaryRestoration

even if you could get it to run off of moonshine, i dont think you could keep the truck on the road... she'd be swerving all over the place haha :) good thinking as for an alternative though, keep up the good ideas guys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks