• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carter YS Carb Rebuild

jslundy

I have a M38A1 and are currently rebuilding the carb. I did not notice before disassembly that there were two different size springs on the accelerator pumps. Could anyone help?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a HyGrade carb kit, for a yf carb. What brand kit and # did you get? I think mine has an exploded view and all the parts used in various configurations.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can scan the exploded view for you. I'll post it here later tonight. I think I remember the accelerator pump shaft had (starting at the bottom) a long spring then a clip, then it went through the metal plate thingy, then on top of that, 2 short spring and a clip holding them in place. That is what I think I recall(probably incorrect somehow). I will post the sheet later.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the exploded veiw

I also emailed it to you, so you can zoom in on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry, the pic I posted is a YF, not a YS carb kit. I missed that. I sent another email, please disregard. Sorry, I was confused!:oops:

OKCM38CDN

Best kit for a Carter YS637 or 950 carb is from Midwest Military... Same kit will do eithor carb... comes with everything you need...

petrpannetje

Carter ys

Hy Guys,

I'm reparing a carter ys carb.
But there's no exploded view of the carb, so i'm not sure how al the parts are ment to go in.
Does anybody have an exploded view or something like it for me?

Greetings from Holland.

Peter

wesk

I'm reparing a carter ys carb.
But there's no exploded view of the carb, so i'm not sure how al the parts are ment to go in.
Does anybody have an exploded view or something like it for me?

Greetings from Holland.
See illustration above.

The YS637S used on the M38 is covered in the TM 9-1826A dated Dec 1952. A word of caution if you use this manual the illustration of the entire carb (blow-up) has one of the diaphram springs on the wrong side of the diaphram. We have a copy of this manual loaded on our web site www.willysmjeeps.com

If you are rebuilding a YS950S used on the M38A1 and M170 the same manual will work but you will need the specs below:

Carter YS950S Carbureter Specifications

For Willys 4 Cylinder Engine: 3 1/8 Inch Bore, 4 3/8 Inch Stroke

Dimensions:
Flange size, ------------------------------------------------------------------ 1 1/4 inch S. A. E.
Primary venturi, ------------------------------------------------------------ 11/32 inch I. D.
Secondary venturi, ---------------------------------------------------------- 19/32 inch I. D.
Main venturi, ----------------------------------------------------------------- 1 1/4 inch I. D.

Float Setting:
Distance from seam of float to float chamber
over, with weight of float on needle and spring: ------------------------ 9/64 inch.

Vents:
Balanced thru air horn to air cleaner via tubing external to carbureter.
Vent: Bowl chamber to carbureter bore, size ----------------------------- No. 68 (.031 inch) drill.

Gasoline Intake:
Square vertical (spring loaded) needle ------------------------------------- No.53 (.0595 inch) drill size in needle seat.
Bleeder tube, assembled over idle tube, with 2 side holes--------------- No. 65 (.035 inch) drill.

Low Speed Jet Tube:
Jet size, ------------------------------------------------------------------------- No. 70 (.028 inch) drill (in end
of tube).
Auxiliary jet (on side of tube) size: ---------------------------------------- No. 75 (.021inch) drill.
By-pass (in air horn) size: --------------------------------------------------- No. 52 (.0635 inch) drill.
Economizer (in body) size: No. 54 (.055 inch) drill.

Idle Port:
Upper port: slot type, length, ------------------------- ---------------------- .165 inch.
Width, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- .030 inch.

Idle Port Opening:
Top of port--------------------------------------------------------------------- 125 to .129 inch above top edge of valve with valve tightly closed.

Lower Port (For Idle Adjustment Screw): Size, -------------------------- .053 to .057 inch diameter.

Set Idle Adjustment Screw: -------------------------------------------------- 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns open. For richer
mixture, turn screw out.
Idle engine at ------------------------------------------------------------------- 700 R.P.M. with deep fording vents open.

Main Nozzle:
In primary venturi, ------------------------------------------------------------ angle 20°.
Discharge jet size, ------------------------------------------------------------- .0935 inch inside diameter.
Main nozzle bleed (tube in air horn) ---------------------------------------- Size: No. 70 drill.

Metering Rod (Diaphragm operated):
Economy step, ----------------------------------------------------------------- .070 inch.
Power Step .-------------------------------------------------------------------- 054 inch diameter.
Vacuum passage restriction, size: ------------------------------------------ No. 50 (.070 inch) drill
Vacuum passage bleed to bore, size: -------------------------------------- No. 65 (.035 inch) drill.
Metering Rod Jet: Size: .----------------------------------------------------- 096 inch diameter.

Accelerating Pump: Diaphragm type, vacuum operated.
Discharge jet size, ------------------------------------------------------------ No. 72 drill.
Intake ball check size: ------------------------------------------------------- No. 40 drill.
Discharge ball check under needle, size ---------------------------------- No. 50 drill.
Vacuum passage restriction, in flange size: ------------------------------ No. 52 (.0635 inch) drill.
Vacuum passage air bleed to bore, size: ---------------------------------- No. 62 (.038 inch) drill.

Pump Stroke: ----------------------------------------------------------------- No adjustment.

Choke: Manual--Offset, butterfly type with poppet valv

Vacuum Spark Port: --------------------------------------------------------- None.

Specifications copied from a one page bulletin from Carter Carburetor Form 4960B released March 1953, revised March 1956.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks