• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost part of my finger yesterday, safety reminder

bigelk50

This is just a solid safety reminder for anyone working around power equipment and/ or anything really.

Yesterday morning at about 1115 I was using a table saw outside, to cut a thin piece of paneling to repair a door. It was very windy outside and I did not think much of it. I had only one more cut to make when the wind caught the 4'x5' sheet of wood as I was turning it and putting it back on the saw and carried my hand into the blade.

It cut my left ring finger diagonal through the first knuckle. The only thing keeping it attached was the small piece of skin. My wife to be, rushed me to the ER. Four hours later they had to amputate it just above my middle knuckle. It will take some time and therapy to heal but I will make it. Our wedding is in 5 months and it sucks it is my ring finger.

I am currently unemployed and had no medical insurance. But I wanted to say that for those of you who are not working or do not have insurance. You should look in to getting on your states medical plan or get some kind of major medical insurance so that your not put in the same situation I am. The money is well worth it for insurance. We are looking at about a $10,000 bill when it is all said done.

This is not a cry for help I just don't ever want some one to go through what I did. Please just take the extra time to make your work environment as safe as you can. If you feel just isn't right it probably isn't. Take your time in crawling on your trucks and working on your projects. Make sure you use the right equipment for the job and use help when need.

Thanks for the support PLEASE BE SAFE!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice for sure! Comes too late for me - I took off the tips of two fingers 5 years ago on the very last cut. Could have been much, much worse and now I am super careful working around power equipment.

Thanks again for the reminder.

ida34

I saw an invention on a show that would have saved you from loosing a finger. The thing basically detects the conductivity in you finger and in a fraction of a second it locks the blade down tight. The guy demonstrated it with a hot dog first and it did not even mess up the skin on the dog. Then he did it with his own finger and again nothing. There is a small charge that basically engages an aluminum block that takes the blade to 0 rpm before your finger gets cut. It look pretty good but as with anything it will add cost to the saw. Sorry to hear about your finger. Thanks for sharing and I pray for a speedy recovery.

Bill W

Wow
I was just pressing my luck the other day with my table saw, thanks for the reality check. What happened to you was bad enough but I'm glad it wasn't worse

Biggles

you want to feel better about yourself. A very good friend of mine was involved in a motorcycle crash while on vacation in India, I'm not sure on the details of the crash but she was wearing a full face helmet and it apparently not only saved her life but also failed in some way (two impacts maybe?) and she spent a couple weeks in crappy backwoods hospitals in India that didn't even use potable water for ALL of the procedures before she was transferred to a better hospital. No insurance. No anything. She is in a Coma and her friends (myself included) all across the country donated money and held fundraisers and raised a whole bunch of money (it was 70,000 last time i checked) and through our efforts we got her a flight home she is back in the States and getting the medical treatment she needs now.

to make a long story longer. There is no telling how much better things would have gone for her or what damage has been done by Hollis not having medical insurance and not being able to have enough money to move her to better facilities.

Biggles

P.S. I think every time I have had a close call (an incident with an angle grinder comes to mind) It was because I was doing something stupid or dangerous and in a hurry. I've grown out of that but it's good to be reminded that even if you aren't doing anything particularly stupid that power tools are STILL dangerous and a few little mistakes can line up to make a BIG problem.

Biggles

KaiserPower

Wow... sorry to hear that. I guess we all have had a few broken bones or worse because of saftey issues. Like you said, take your time and think ahead of yourself to avoid these things.

bigelk50

Thanks guys for everything!! I am thinking it is time to upgrade the saw. That safety device mentioned by ida34 sounds like a great investment to me. I now know that you cannot put a price on anything, not even a finger. It is human nature to take things for granted, I just wanted to open everyones eyes a little!

pittdog

well ! guess what ! i got that #@$% to worry bout that too ! the economy ! take care of that digit ! i worry every day to , you can still type with 2 or 3, or 4 ! ..... not funny!:cry:i'll talk to you ! ( ouch ... you think) ! .... pittdog ... aka... 693-b ! let me hows goin , OK ! out here ...!

Militoy

It's unfortunate that you were cut the way you were, rather than with a simple sharp blade. At least you caught a finger that isn't a 'primary' gripper. Last 4th of July, I cut off the pinky of my right hand through the middle knuckle while fishing. I had tried to stick a very sharp knife, without a handle guard, into the wood of a pier with some force. The knife was slippery - and 'wallah' - the finger was almost shark bait. I was lucky to have good insurance - and the finger was re-attached. Even after 4 months of physical therapy though, the strength and dexterity of my right hand ain't what it used to be, and likely never will be. I'm real careful with power saws and around knives now. :roll:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
get better soon

OUCH!! I haven't lost anything YET and I appreciate your solid advice. As a plumber, I work with power tools all the time. I don't think ANYONE plans to do major harm to themselves with them, but it can/does happen. Thank goodness that your future wife got you to the ER!! Loss of blood can be serious to say the very least. Hope and pray for your speedy recovery!! Insurance? Lived without it for years when I was self employed. One of the reasons I am NOT self employed any longer.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are making wanna puke! Bigelk, that sucks. We ALL need to be careful working on our junk or doing other things that involves the use of ANYTHING that doesn't care if we hurt ourselves.

pittdog

man ! 693 b , here... It's not funny! But you better be more carefull .... No chain saws, and no axe ! @^%$ ! Let me know how you're doin ! .... Can you type w/ toes ? Let me know ... 693-b ... Out

goldneagle

This is just a solid safety reminder for anyone working around power equipment and/ or anything really.

Yesterday morning at about 1115 I was using a table saw outside, to cut a thin piece of paneling to repair a door. It was very windy outside and I did not think much of it. I had only one more cut to make when the wind caught the 4'x5' sheet of wood as I was turning it and putting it back on the saw and carried my hand into the blade.

It cut my left ring finger diagonal through the first knuckle. The only thing keeping it attached was the small piece of skin. My wife to be, rushed me to the ER. Four hours later they had to amputate it just above my middle knuckle. It will take some time and therapy to heal but I will make it. Our wedding is in 5 months and it sucks it is my ring finger.

I am currently unemployed and had no medical insurance. But I wanted to say that for those of you who are not working or do not have insurance. You should look in to getting on your states medical plan or get some kind of major medical insurance so that your not put in the same situation I am. The money is well worth it for insurance. We are looking at about a $10,000 bill when it is all said done.

This is not a cry for help I just don't ever want some one to go through what I did. Please just take the extra time to make your work environment as safe as you can. If you feel just isn't right it probably isn't. Take your time in crawling on your trucks and working on your projects. Make sure you use the right equipment for the job and use help when need.

Thanks for the support PLEASE BE SAFE!
Table saws come with a blade guard. Did you remove the blade guard like many guys do? As you now know, there is a very good reason the blade guard is there.

I hope your recovery is swift and painless.

Check with the state to see if you qualify for free or reduced medical service. Louisiana has FREECARE that gives free medical service to those that cannot afford medical insurance.

bigelk50

Table saws come with a blade guard. Did you remove the blade guard like many guys do? As you now know, there is a very good reason the blade guard is there.

I hope your recovery is swift and painless.

Check with the state to see if you qualify for free or reduced medical service. Louisiana has FREECARE that gives free medical service to those that cannot afford medical insurance.

This table saw is from the 1950's or 60's (do not remember which) it did not ever have a guard on it. It was not required back then.

But if any one has a guard on theirs please do not take it off.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We all do things like this from time to time. I still have all my fingers but I did crush flat the end of my finger, knocked a tooth out, broke two toes and needed to have stiches several times but I just pulled the wound back together with some tape and went on. Seems every time I do something like this I knew better when doing it but did it anyway.:?

Sorry to hear about the finger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks