• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003 No Power

M105/MEP003

Just purchased a MEP-003 10KW from out of state and had it shipped in so I did not get to test it. The engine fires up and runs great. It was generating electricity when I first started it. Shut it down to reconnect the engine speed control knob which had been dummied out by a piece of linkage. When I started it back up I no longer have electric. The only thing that happened was that the engine stop solenoid is missing and when I started it back up one of the wires from the solenoid was touching the linkage. I guess that could have shorted but don't see how that could affect anything. None of the meters show anything (battery, fequency, load, volts). I don't thing the hour meter is running either. It seems like it just got turned off and I cannot figure out how to turn it back on. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the control circuit breaker ,tripped? Are you using the operator controls on the control panel to start it? Where are you testing for voltage? Is the outlet breaker tipped?

M105/MEP003

By control circuit breaker if you mean the one that you would normally use to kill the engine then no it is not tripped. Yes, I am starting the engine with the knob on the control panel. Cold start takes about 20 second on the heaters and then it starts. I tested for voltage at the receptacles and also the main terminal block at the lugs. No voltage in single or three phase. Strange that I had electric and then lost it. Thanks

M105/MEP003

I had to go out last night and try it after I read your message. Started it up and the meters were all dead, hit the start switch again and the battery charge meter came to life and the hour meter started running. But still no voltage. The rest of the meters stayed dead and no output.

LanceRobson

By "control circuit breaker" he means the 3 pole breaker down by the convenience receptacle below and to the left of the main panel. There is a separate push button breaker for the convenience receptacle just to the receptacle's left.

Under the cover to the left of the main breaker is the reconnection switch. Both the main breaker and the reconnection switch are self cleaning. With the set shut down, cycle both several times. That may help if the issue is corroded or dirty contacts due to sitting a while. The main breaker can be used when the set is running but the reconnection switch will be damaged if the set is running.

Check the fuse in the fuse holder on the back side of the cooling shroud next to when the linkage runs up under the shroud.

Without having the set in front of me it's harder to visualize the troubleshooting process.

If you haven't already done so, use the "RESOURCES" tab above to go to the TM section and download TM5-6115-585-12, -24P and -34.

The parts manual (the -24P) can be particularly handy due to the exploded diagrams. Sometimes the other manuals will tell you to check or adjust a part without telling you where it is or what it looks like. The parts manual will help then.

Follow the troubleshooting guide in the -20 manual and it should help.

Lance

M105/MEP003

That is what I thought. I need to move the trailer over next to an unused ground rod from the electric fence and hook it up. Thanks for the info on the manuals. I have the operators manual but figured there had to be a complete maintenance and parts manual out there somewhere. I will see what I can figure out.

M105/MEP003

I finally got back to messing with the generator this weekend. Worked the reconnection switch back and forth several times and then started the generator back up. I now have electricity. Thanks so much for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks