• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

kerosene as a fuel

mikes47jeep

A multi-fuel, as well as a regular diesel will burn kerosene; the main issue is kero doesn’t have any lubricating properties for the injector pump

If I had to run kero in a diesel I would add a couple quarts of oil just to give the fuel system some lube

Also kero is usually dyed red, and then you get into the whole "off-road fuel" issue

Mike

atilathehun

i was just wondering because i have a source of 500 gallons of k-1 free i will mix wmo with it we have 110 gallons of that from the farm tractors as far as the red dye i have farm plates on the beast so it dont go far from home to start with it was kind of fun to go to dinner in it last night:-D:-D

davesgmc

the ultra low sulfur carp that is out now aint got much lube in it anyhow. I run about a gallon of 2 stroke oil in 1/2 tank of straight diesel in mine.

I have run 100%wmo also, it ran fine.

I DID run into a dot guy that gave me crap about my "red fuel" ooops......I explained it as i run a shop tha has lots of used transmisison fluid and I was running that. He really didnt care other than to give me S#!T about it all. I was thankful for that. He did mention that my bridge truck looked a little wide too. :wink:.

My truck has a detroit diesel in it and it has run great on just about anyhting i throw at it. WMO and diesel seems to be the best so far.

A multi-fuel, as well as a regular diesel will burn kerosene; the main issue is kero doesn’t have any lubricating properties for the injector pump

If I had to run kero in a diesel I would add a couple quarts of oil just to give the fuel system some lube

Also kero is usually dyed red, and then you get into the whole "off-road fuel" issue

Mike

Rebelpride

I have run a tank of K1 in my deuce before with 1 gallon of straight 30wt. I think that the K1 gives it a power boost. I noticed that with the K1 it kinda held its own on the hills didnt slow as much as with diesel. But did notice when the sun came out and it got hot the temp guage moved over to about 200. If K1 ever gets cheaper than diesel I plan to repeat.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opps....
I ran at least two tanks of mostly kero through my 2004 dodge cummins last summer, I was stuck and that's all I could get. I forgot about the lube issues or I would have added some oil to it.

Diesel is up $.30 here, in 3 days. :evil:

GoHot229

i was just wondering because i have a source of 500 gallons of k-1 free i will mix wmo with it we have 110 gallons of that from the farm tractors as far as the red dye i have farm plates on the beast so it dont go far from home to start with it was kind of fun to go to dinner in it last night:-D:-D
By all means GET it, and mix oil or use it as a mixer. Something off the wall: I used to ride two stroke dirt bikes and used to burn 'Bean Oil' and it had a very pleasant smell to it ( those who have smelled it know what I mean ) Anyway, a quart in the tank would sure have people on the street sniffing the air, looking around wondering the source...........

metrobus

K-1

I spent most of my adult working life either driving or working on buses. Most city bus companies use K-1 to reduce smoke and smell. K-1 has fewer BTU's per pound and fewer pounds per gallon, hence less power. They had some 69 model GMC buses @ Asheville Transit with toroflow diesels in them that had Bosch injector pumps, that to my knowledge never had a proble with lubrication of the pump using straight K-1.

atilathehun

cool metrobus i found an old unused hydralic filter base and and a case of 3 micron filters out in the barn for the base so a filter system and mixer are in short order i will post pics when i get it finished i was thinking a intake manifold with 2 valved pickups into the pump pressure gauge filters then pressure gauge then into a fuel oil tank the hole system will feed off 55 gal drums

atilathehun

o the filter base is made by dayton it is rated for 3,000 psi there is no way i will hit that psi when filtering and mixing if i am reading that report right there is alot of heavy metal in that oil right

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the ultra low sulfur carp that is out now aint got much lube in it anyhow. I run about a gallon of 2 stroke oil in 1/2 tank of straight diesel in mine.

I have run 100%wmo also, it ran fine.

I DID run into a dot guy that gave me crap about my "red fuel" ooops......I explained it as i run a shop tha has lots of used transmisison fluid and I was running that. He really didnt care other than to give me S#!T about it all. I was thankful for that. He did mention that my bridge truck looked a little wide too. :wink:.

My truck has a detroit diesel in it and it has run great on just about anyhting i throw at it. WMO and diesel seems to be the best so far.
What do you need to be doing to get a DOT guy to sniff around your tank? Just curious - I'm wondering if that will be a worry in my life. I can't imagine one pulling me over just because or following me home.

roscoe

Hey metrobus, nice to see someone from the Asheville area on here. I lived there for about 10 years in the 80's - early 90's. I have alot of relatives down that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks