• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a mule crash-course- quick!

tjcouch

I have become aware of an opportunity for a mule at $2500, the seller says it runs great and has no rust . . . the pics look good . . .

I am looking at it tomorrow, what should I look for? What are the quirks?

What do you think about the $2.5K list price?

What if it is an A5 w/o 4 wheel steer - does that change the value much? (I really hope it is 4 wheel steer . . . )

All thoughts welcome.

NotDixie

I'm at work, but checking the thread completely expecting to see a photo of it in his back yard posed next to the deuce.

May be too early yet...:|

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was tempted by that one myself. Hope you get it, that way I can drive it without having to pay for it!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A-5's were the least produced (874 units comes to mind). You put one in low it will go anywhere.

tjcouch

It is an A5, but after sitting for awhile, it would not run well. The owner is going to work on it a bit and get back to me.

tjcouch

Update - the gent left me a message today that he got her running and has invited me for a test trive!

And bump on the manual . . .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I'm off tomorrow and I have a few dollars. You better get this TJ before I do something stupid.

tjcouch

If it runs on Saturday, It will be mine!

I'll just have to get used to driving up a 30 degree angle as I load it into my truck!

Heh, I still remember a little bit of trig!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought a mule. She's a M274A2. I got it for $1750. ran great, needed a fair amount of fixing up. here is what I would look for.

see if the rubber axle boots, like the front of a deuce, are torn and leaking. that'll have you taking the axles apart.
see if she grinds between gears. that'll tell you to replace the tranny sycronizers.
see if the engine blows oil, makes funny noises etc.
check all the tie rods. see which ones have too much play etc. that'll tell you how many you need to replace.
finally, have Bill Watson's mule parts phone number ready. His very knowledgeable and a great guy.

let me know how I can help.

Whiterabbit

sound good

I'd get it. the are getting real hard to find. I have a A5 model I just restored/rebuilt and it is a blast! I went and put 4wheel steering on it and WOW!
Look the mule over good, I replaced 16 seals to stop the drips. No real special tools required to work on it and alot of the seals,belt,filters can be had at carquest or napa. Run it through all the gears to check the tranny but make sure you are stopped and in N before putting it in R. You need a deepwell socket from Lowes to fit the spark plugs.
Fun lil' vehicle and super simple too

shootiniron

I had at one time two A-5's,loved them both and as what is usuall for me I wish that I had never got rid of them.They are a snap to work on and very fun to drive around.The kids loved them too!

tjcouch

I am happy to say she followed me home!

Already found a use for her - I ran to the liquor store (using my neighborhood back roads) and loaded her with beer for tomorrow's wrench fest (installing air o matic on the 35.)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks