• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why are the Classified Ads hidden in "Resources"?

area52

Back on the old "old" Steelsoldiers there was a classified section but it got locked. I can't remember why, that is just when I got here. Maybe one of the old timers :-D will chime in.

Ridgerunner

When we switched to the "new site" I thought we dropped the classified section. It was a while before I even knew we still had them after the move.

I see this question come up in the forums from time to time, so it's a common problem with someone new here. The way it's set up now, the classifieds are hidden.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Couple of issues........

The old site, years and years and years ago, had the classifieds in their own forum, but it created a lot of problems. One was that a member would put his or her item up, no one would bite and they would bump the thread. But that would push down all the other member's threads with their items, so they would bump their threads. Thus pushing down the first bumped thread, so it would get bumped again. Thus ensues the bump war.

Second problem was that very good data would (or could) sometimes end up in the classifieds thread. A person runs an ad for a tire cage and someone asks a question about split rings and a discussion begins and good tech ends up in the wrong forum. Site owners and moderators of technical forums try to keep the technical data that members want and need in their correct forums so that in the future it can be found. Very few people who have a question about axle bearings will search the classifieds..... they search the forum for their vehicle.

A separate classifieds section is the way to go and that's what we are working towards. As time goes by and Mangus580 has the time, there will be improvements.

Also, I don't think the classifieds section is hidden..... it is a resource, something you use, so looking in the resources section to me is pretty reasonable. Also, random classified ads are on the main page, allowing you a single click to "jump" to the classifieds section.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really just needs a classified link on the main page near the Steel Soldiers banner.

GoHot229

Really, it just seems the right place for them ??? I guess you just have to navigate the forum for a bit, and as you discover stuff it seems natural. I'll adnit though, when I first joined, they were invisable to me too, till I started looking around the site

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The classifieds are not accessible via the resources tab if you are not logged in.
as such they do not reach an audience that are not registered SS members.
They can be accessed from the main page without being logged in, only if you click on a random ad.

mangus580

The classifieds are not accessible via the resources tab if you are not logged in.
They can be accessed from the main page without being logged in, only if you click on a random ad.
thanks for letting me know Bob... I was unaware of that.

area52

Not accessible if not logged in is a good thing I think. Might cut down on the darn spammers that send me bogus replies about my junk, er, I mean high quality goods on here

roadkill150

Being a new member here, i had a hell of a time figuring out where the classified section was.. basically only found it because someone had posted a link and i had been actively searching

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks