• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake issues on a M35A2

Treeman1962

Hello everyone I just joined this site as I have just become a proud owner of a 1982 AM General M35A2. How ever it has no brakes by this I mean it seems to need fluid but I do not know how to add fluid to the resevoir. I know it is air over hydraulic so it must be a special way to add fluid and I guess it is a silicone fluid that needs to be added. The pedal goes to the floor. It only has 7,ooo miles on it and it is in great shape other than the brakes. Any help would be really appreciated. I also was wondering where I could get a manual on this machine. I have a buddy who is way more mechanically inclined than I am and I can use a copmuter a bit better than he can so I am elected to ask the questions. I am still trying to figure out this site as to where and how to ask questions so any help on that would be nice also. I am not sure if this will even get read and how iIwould find a reply if one is sent.

Thanks

Treeman1962

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The trap door to your master cyl is under your feet on the driver's side floor. see my sig line for manuals, they are here on our site. A quick search should find alot of info.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello treeman! Welcome to the site!

First, all the manuals are available here, in a couple of places on the site, for free. You can find a list of them here, as well as a nice write up on the M35 series that will help to initiate you:

Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Once you download the operator's manual, read it cover to cover and familiarize yourself with the vehicle. The OM will get you started on the simple stuff and the heavier, more in depth technical manuals will get you taken care on the heavier repair/maintenance stuff.

Post some pics of your truck!

nk14zp

Go to the top of the page under resources go to the TM page.You want 9-2320-209-10 ones for operator manuals.Then the 9-2320-209-20 to start with.Hope this helps

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Treeman.

Check out the Search button at the top of the page. It will become your best friend. Almost every question you will have has been asked before. Also under the Resources button there are countless Technical Manuals for just about any MV (Military Vehicle) you can think of.

Click on this link for the Wiki post about Deuces.
Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite.
Down load the Tech Manuals (TM) and read, read, read.

Back to your brakes. Because MVs sit for long periods of time the brakes sometimes leak down. There is a trap door infront of the drives seat. Open this door to access the Master Cylinder. Almost all MVs have been converted to DOT5 brake fluid. You can find this at most auto suppy stores. Top off the master cylinder and bleed the Air Pak. This will sovle the majority of you brake issues. The TMs cover how to bleed the system , M/C, Air Pak and wheel cylinders.

Warthog

Treeman1962

Yes it is I bought both of them one has the brakes locked up and one has no brakes at the pedal. How did you know? Any history on these machines? I am amazed at how quick the response is and what a small world it is.

Thanks

wsucougarx

I went out to preview those trucks and noticed they had the pics switched on them. Maintenance on those trucks were non-existent there. The fire chief did say someone put a non-compatible brake fluid in the system that rotted out all the seals and plugged the brake lines. I didn't get in there to really check it out. If I were you, I'd go down to the auto store and get at least a gallon or two of DOT 5 brake fluid and just bleed the braking system. Bleed the airpack first then go to the farthermost wheel cylinder and then work your way closer to the master cylinder.
Mike

Last edited:

wsucougarx

It was funny, when I went out there they told me that the winched truck absolutely would not start. They said it hadnt been started in 5-10 years. well, I took that as a challenge. I got in there and tried to turn her over to no avail, I then bled the fuel lines and after 5 minutes, she ran like a charm. The fire guy looked at me like "uh oh, we're getting rid of a perfectly running truck". Did you get that nice rodent nest cleared out of the driver seat?:)

Last edited:

Treeman1962

You mean the drive shaft brake? I got that loose and it still was locked on the back brakes they were really hot after I drove it just a few hundred yards. We could not find how to add fluid to the resevoir is there a special way to add fluid since it is air over hydraulic and that makes it pressurized or ?? I did notice that they were switched and I guess a I got lucky to buy both as I really just wanted the newer one but also wanted one with a winch so now I guess I have to move the winch to the one I want to keep. I just got the one with the mushy pedal home so I need to figure out how to get that fixed I am just a dumb old Christmas tree farmer so any help would be great.

roscoe

Welcome Treeman1962, you are definately headed in the right direction with this site. Here you will find everything and anything you need to know about your new M35a2 (and quite a bit you may not). Lots of knowledgable folks as above. Feel free to ask questions if you don't find the information you need - someone on ss will have the answer. I'm new to this also and waiting to pick up my M35a2 (ON THE LEFT).

Treeman1962

yes I cleaned out the nests in both trucks and saw the little bugger I hope he stayed there it was a slow drive to Oregon if he did stay on the vehicle. Both rigs started great thanks for the info and the for doing what the fire guys should have.

wsucougarx

It is air over hydraulics. The way to add fluid is right under the driver seat. You'll see a small door on the floor of the cab. Open it up and look down and to the rear. that little box thing is the master cylinder. Open the lid and pour some fluid in. Before opening the lid, clean off all the debri just above it on the frame of the truck so junk doesn't fall in. If there is some brake fluid in there, dip your finger in and put it in a container of some sort. You'll want to have a good amount in the container for this little experiment. After you get the fluid in there, add a couple drops of water and mix it around. If you notice the water DOES NOT want to mix with the brake fluid, then it is DOT 5. If it DOES mix, then it's DOT 3 brake fluid.

dittle

Make sure to take note in wsucougarx's experiment to put the water in the fluid in your bowl, not the master cylinder. You'll hate yourself if you put it in the MC. I double read his post because I thought WTF, then the re-read made it all make sense.

Nice test WSU

Treeman1962

No I trailered them home I was going to drive one but the brakes were locked up. We found the trap door but could not see where to add the fluid I had a friend with me who is very mechanically inclined but he said he could not find a spot to add the fluid. He thought since it was air over hyd that it might have some special way of adding it as it may be pressurized. If it was a corvette he could have done anything to it bu this is the first time he had ever seen one of these things. So maybe the fill spot was just very inaccesable or covered with dirt but he was under there for several minutes. He said there was hydraulic line coming out of where the fill plug should be and going off to the right. On the other one the rear brake shoes are to tight but was not sure how to loosen them and thought we may have to take off the rear wheels to get at them.

wsucougarx

The line coming out of the top of the Master cylinder is NOT a hydraulic line, it is a vent line. You will need to loosen and remove the line first before taking the cap off. On the back of each wheel hub are two bolts arranged at roughly 12:00 and 6:00 for each pad (4 bolts per hub). These are for adjusting the pads w/respect to the drum. You will need to go to the resources part of this website and download the manual to do this correctly

Treeman1962

Thank you very much I will try that and see where I get with it. Should I downoad the whole manual or just the part I need? It looks like it is like 70 pages. I guess I seem like quite the novice to all of this I am still trying to figure out this site lots of stuff going on here. I guess I will be back to this site many times for future info. I hope I don't get to addicted to these trucks and want to add all the bells and whistles. I am going to use them for my Christmas tree harvest as they seem to be able to get around offroad very well. Once again thanks for your help I hope I can follow your instructions.

chicklin

Here's the thing about the brakes. If you have no pedal due to low (or no) fluid, then that fluid went somewhere, i.e. a leak. Adding fluid and bleeding the system may help temporarily, but you've still got a leak and that's dangerous. At some point, you are going to end up with no brakes again, only this time you won't know when.

My guess is that you're going to find one or more leaks when you fill the system. Be prepared to replace/rebuild master cylinder, wheel cylinders, steel lines, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks