• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Milling machine pickup from Albany, GA

OLDCHEV4X4

Belt drive! I used to run one like that back in the summer of 85. You can use it as a horizontal too. Hopefully its a tight machine and not all beat up.
Good luck with the rigging, sorry i am no help.

jrou111

JDT, this mill is from the 1940-1950's. Originally it was in a shop powered by an overhead belt system along with a bunch of other machinery.

JDToumanian

I see..... Very cool!!! So it's been converted to have a motor on the back rather than use the overhead power? ....I thought those belt guards looked odd....

jrou111

Well, looks like I'm going down there on Tuesday. Does anyone have any pointers on how to get a 2000lb piece of iron onto a uhaul trailer? I was hoping to slip someone in the shop with a forklift $50 but apparently I'm on my own.

Anybody wanna come help? :-D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd try my best to find a tilt trailer. You could take some round bars, jacks, come-a-long, and some big pry bars and get it loaded if you had a way to get it upon the trailer. A word of caution, mills are very top heavy and will fall over if you aren't carefull.

jrou111

Thanks for the pointers, IDK on the tilt trailer though. I think I'm going to bring my 2 ton engine hoist though. Along with chains, comealong, high lift jacks, pipes, pry bars, and who knows what else.

Nonotagain

Been there done that.

I moved my Bridgeport from Richmond to Baltimore on a U-haul car trailer.

I brought my cherry picker with me and just lifted the mill up around a foot high then backed the trailer up till the mill was just into the bed. Then I sprayed the bed with WD-40, to make the mill easier to slide. The bed was corrogated galvanized.

I used a 2 ton ratchet strap to slide the mill directly over the axles and ran straps to each corner using the table as a tie point.

If possible, rotate the head upside down to lower the CG, and lower the knee as far as it will go..

ralbelt

If you can find someone with a slide back ramp truck he can winch it up onto his and slide it off onto your trailer. Check out a few of the local tow companies in the general area. Should be safer than trying to pry,jack, lift,pull.
I always look at a new job I have to accomplish as, how bad will I get hurt,how long will I be out of work, and what will it cost to have someone else do it.

EZFEED

I moved my Enco using cinder blocks, wood blocks, a nylon lifting strap, and my engine hoist.
Was indeed an operation but I got it moved! :) What I did was to lower the knee as low as it would go then wrapped the strap around it several times to where I had the looped ends to where they were just 5" above the table. Hooked the engine hoist to it and started lifting. Got it about 2" up then ran the head forward till she balanced out while suspended....was a piece of cake after that! Lifted to the max then blocked her up, lifted again then blocked her up. Kept blocking it up in increments till she was even with the bed of my truck then I slid it on into the bed of my F-150. :)

Like Nonotagain said.....be sure to lower everything and if possible, remove the head or at least flip it upside down. Be sure to bring lots of straps and also if you are loading into the bed of a 1/2 ton pickup like I did, center it just a few inches forward of the axle.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the machinery moving business and have moved 100s of mills of all sizes. Overhead lifting is the best if you have something to use.

I went back and looked at the pics. If I were moving it with the tools you said you had I would take a strap at run it under the head ways right in front of the column. It should be pretty close to balance there but you may have to move the table a little to get it perfect. Be sure and pad under the ways with some cardboard or something so the sharp edges of the ways won't cut the strap.

After it's loaded I would run chains across the front and the back of the base. One pulling toward the front and the other toward the back. We always chain mills this way to keep from damaging ways and it's about the only thing that can't move. You can throw a strap over the top if it makes you feel better..

If you do get there and find out the GL guy will load it with a forklift use a strap over the forks and lift it from the top. I've seen how well the GL forklift operators are and if they get under it with the forks there is a pretty good chance they'll turn it over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks