• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

500 gallon tire?

reb87

I bought some items last year on a gl sale that were listed as towing and lifting yokes. They had pintel rings on them so I bought them and cut them up to make a towbar for my suburban.
I bought 8 500gallon collapsable tanks a month ago and they had the manuals with them and showed how the lifting yoke hooked in and could be used to lift the tanks and also tow them in an emergency behind a 2.5ton. Here is a pic of one behind my 1009. I filled it with air and pulled it a mile. Its pretty neat how the bearings are built in to the tank and it rolled fine.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is cool!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They've been using rolling fuel bladders since at least the early 1960s, thought not much recently. It used to be rather common seeing them, especially further up north where they roll really nicely on the packed snow. The further south you go, the less they were used, mostly because of the threat of puncturing on a sharp rock or stick. In the arctic, there are less rocks and sticks, and more snow.

Wild Horse Hans

We called those Blivett bags. Used them a lot in Central America. They would bring them in under CH-47s to our little camps to fuel our trucks and Hueys. We would make wooden racks, or have them put them in a 5 ton so they were higher than our trucks tanks so we needed no pump to fuel.
I watched a CH-47 drop 2 of those into the back of a Toyota pickup from about 50 feet up one day. They did not break, but the Toyota was a total loss.:-D The CH had a bit of trouble and they just happened to be over the Toyota when the loadmaster cut the load!
They are made out of pretty tough stuff and I can't ever remember seeing on puncture.

reb87

I bought them to use as paintball barricades. There is a lot of paintball stuff going on in the back yard.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they are in their "Use by Date" they are fine.. After that, they are susceptable to cracking, and thats when they fail.

scooter01922

Great idea on the paintball barricades, they look a lot like the commercially made ones but i'm sure they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

jmh4x4

you never know what you will come across on here, my wife's parent's neighbor has one sitting in his back yard that his little one uses as a jungle gym. Never knew what its true purpose was. pretty cool

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks