• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fitting a "freeze plug" question

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the proper clearance for a freeze plug or cap in this case, before wacking it with a hammer? I need a solid fit and the cap will be drilled and tapped for a vent after installation.
The 2-1/16 cap is too large, so I'll have to grind it down to fit. The next smaller size cap that I can find is 2 inches in dia and is too loose.

Edit: Added image....

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a concave disk. Did you remove the old one?

I found one that says it's 2.020" at my NAPA. It is either a Clevite or Dorman brand. They said the next size up was 2.062"

I can get it and send it to you if you think it will work.

Last edited:

jwaller

freeze plugs that I drive into the engine blocks go it with a moderate swing from a 3lb hammer. I'd say you want at least .002 of interference fit at 60deg F. yours can be a bit looser bc your not sealing water at 16psi over a 2sq in area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks