• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Many 816 questions

hoopsoft

I have many wrecker questions. I have seen some of the unofficial answers and have read the manual quite a bit on these, but want some opinions too.

First off, I have the wrong pump, it doesn't have the idle up stuff on the back of the IP pump. Is this a whole pump swap or can that part be bolted on to a regular 250hp cummins.

Forth gear operation of the boom is noisy, but 3 and down isn't. I also think the rear winch moves too fast. Is there really any problem with running the rear winch in 1st, and the crane at idle in say 3rd, other than it being alittle slow.

1600;s on a wrecker, the rubbing, that is talked about is that from the front tires turning, or do they actually hit the bottom of the wrecker bed.

the 5 ton front winches, I need both yokes for the PTO and winch part, (I will have a driveshaft made) but was curious if those were standard parts or will I need to do saturn or alfa etc.

My rear pintle is gone. That sucker is much bigger than a deuce, are all 5 ton pintles the same, best place to get one?

My hook comes down slowly or not at all without weight, the tackle has two pulley's so the cable makes 4 trips back and forth. I know this is great for lifting, but it slow and the boom rating is low anyway. Seems like most wreckers have just a regular hook that the cable runs down and up to the boom.. Should I just put that on there and take the bigger one off.

Were can I get the anchor poles that keep the truck from moving backwards, that and a whiffle bar?

Has anyone ever made a wheel dolly with an eyelet that the boom could pickup and go under the wheels of a car, so it "could" be used to move a newer car if needed. It would only be for my own stuff on occasion.

Fire away and thanks.

area52

I have many wrecker questions. I have seen some of the unofficial answers and have read the manual quite a bit on these, but want some opinions too.

First off, I have the wrong pump, it doesn't have the idle up stuff on the back of the IP pump. Is this a whole pump swap or can that part be bolted on to a regular 250hp cummins. Not sure myself, I think you can swap over the stuff to your pump

Forth gear operation of the boom is noisy, but 3 and down isn't. I also think the rear winch moves too fast. Is there really any problem with running the rear winch in 1st, and the crane at idle in say 3rd, other than it being alittle slow.

I think its for the pto pump operations but again, not sure. I haven't tried mine out yet

1600;s on a wrecker, the rubbing, that is talked about is that from the front tires turning, or do they actually hit the bottom of the wrecker bed.
I think its the front tires rubbing.

the 5 ton front winches, I need both yokes for the PTO and winch part, (I will have a driveshaft made) but was curious if those were standard parts or will I need to do saturn or alfa etc. You should be able to get these at a driveline shop.

My rear pintle is gone. That sucker is much bigger than a deuce, are all 5 ton pintles the same, best place to get one?

My hook comes down slowly or not at all without weight, the tackle has two pulley's so the cable makes 4 trips back and forth. I know this is great for lifting, but it slow and the boom rating is low anyway. Seems like most wreckers have just a regular hook that the cable runs down and up to the boom.. Should I just put that on there and take the bigger one off.
The book calls for two part line and three part line. My wrecker hook has one pulley. For a three part line it goes around the boom pulley twice and back to the hook. So to answer your question, yes

Were can I get the anchor poles that keep the truck from moving backwards, that and a whiffle bar?

Has anyone ever made a wheel dolly with an eyelet that the boom could pickup and go under the wheels of a car, so it "could" be used to move a newer car if needed. It would only be for my own stuff on occasion. I have been looking into this also, haven't come up with anything yet.

Fire away and thanks.

also:

nopics

Crash_AF

I have used the air governor on my 816 once in all the time I've had it. (my controls on the back are frozen up). It didn't make a significant difference in how the crane worked, so I just continue to use it at idle.

For the crane, use 4 or 3, the rear winch is like the front, use whatever gear works best for you. Oshkosh equipment has the kit for the wreckers, but it is expensive. You can occasionally come across the spades and wiffle tree at surplus locations or from other members. The harder part of the whiffle tree is the pins.

Later,
Joe

jrou111

I gotta ask, what is a wiffle tree??

It's a big steel bar that connects to the front lift points on the towed vehicle. It has a center connection point for the lift hook on the 816 to connect to, so that the front of the towed vehicle can be lifted on the ground. IIRC, it has connection points to hook up the towbar, or you can use the towbar with axle clamps.

Hopefully someone will post a description, I've seen pics of it on here, but don't remember who's it was.

zb39

Is it sort of a triangle shape with various size holes in it to lighten it?? Is the center lifting attachment a big steel ring?? Actually i thonk the hole are for pins or pipe.

Last edited:

Gordon_M

WHIFFLETREE or WIPPLETREE, originally the triangular wooden frame that was attached to the front of a wagon so you could hook it up to the horse(s) with a single point tow.

Now usually the big lump of metal dangling from the front bumpler of a WLF wrecker or Dragon Wagon to give you a single tow point on the front of a diabled vehicle or tank.

Gordon_M

(who wishes he had one, and a Dragon Wagon to put it on)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks