• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RT524 and R422 Parts Needed Which Ones??

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Anyone know what is missing from this RT524 and R442??

I think one think is a module numbered J2003 on both items. On the 524 I think the heat sink is missing also but need someone to confirm this by the photos.

Anyone know where I can get this stuff to get these radios up and running?

Thanks

Attachments

jeepin

There is only 1 place I would ever shop for mil radio parts/repairs; get in touch with Steve Haney - tc0654@mesh.net -- I have always found him super knowledgeable and fair prices.

wsucougarx

CARNAC did you get your R442 up and running? Did you ever figure out what parts were missing? Let me know because I have the same issue with my R442. Several wires were cut and I am missing some of those 90 degree connectors:roll:

Driver523

Steve Haney is where I went when chasing parts for the replicas, I got a TM 11-5820-401-10-2 just told him what was needed, size of cables and all, had the builder contact him deal was made----no muss no fuss and most of all no problems, Ugly Ranger got a wrong cable from him but returned it and the right one was sent-----no sweat------------Driver

Wile E. Coyote

Steve Haney's a great guy to deal with and I've also bought bits and pieces from American Milspec in the past with no problems (www.american-milspec.com) Mike Murphy is good too (www.murphyjunk.com)

That RT-524 looks pretty much complete. Demil procedures varied, but the last bunch sold in large quantities (Wisconsin Army National Guard was the origin of a lot of them) had the A2000 module removed and usually the transmit tubes too. Unfortunately they also tended to remove the back half of the radio, toss the shielding, then reassemble the back half of the radio to the front less than carefully, which led to a bunch of other problems when they spun the dials haphazardly just so the halves could mate half-assedly.

Also, I've come across a bunch of complete ones from surplus and Ebay and the like with the same problem: i.e., you turn it on, the squelch won't quiet in any setting you care to pick, and the radio won't transmit. Easy solution:

1) Open it up
2) While you're in there, flip it upside down, flip the leftmost module up and set the XMODE--NORMAL switch to NORMAL (it'll inevitably be on XMODE)
3) Operate the HIGH-LOW-RESET swtich on the front panel and look behind the front panel to see what it's supposed to do -- i.e., reset two standard-type circuit breakers when turned to RESET.
4) One of the circuit breakers won't be resetting. Get yourself a nice, long, thin blade screwdriver and CAREFULLY reset the circuit-breaker with it until it clicks hard over to the same side as the one that actually DID reset with the RESET switch (as in, the tops of the circuit-breaker toggles should be pointing at one-another.).
5) Put it all back together and voila! Working RT-524.

That circuit-breaker pops when hooked up via the CX-4722 control cable to a bad MX-6707 or MX-2799 AMU. Before hooking the radio up, check to make sure your MX-6707 freq range selector knob turns freely or you'll be repeating the pull-the-covers-reset-the-breaker deal sooner than you'd care to. Both AMU types get full of water but out of the two -- the MX-6707 seems the worst. You can cheat and get yourself the AS-3900A antenna system from a SINCGARS and dispense with the MX-6707 and associated CX-4722 cable entirely -- though from what I remember the average match with the AS-3900A isn't as good as with the MX-6707/ AS-1729 setup.

Wile E. Coyote

Your RT-524 looks complete. However your R-442 looks to be missing one component. The A2000 (black and orange wire hooks to this unit)
Yup - I missed that - it is indeed missing. Sometimes they show up on Ebay, but Steve Haney should have them, and failing that try American Milspec (www.american-milspec.com) or Mike Murphy (www.murphyjunk.com) They install fairly easily from what I remember. Just set the radio for the lowest possibly frequency (i.e. 30.00 MHz on R-442/ RT-524/ RT-246) then grab A2000, look at the end with the 'knob' (flat metal bar), then turn the 'knob' until the line lines up with the "00 KC' mark on the casing. If the radio hasn't been messed with, the A2000 should bolt right up and mesh perfectly with the drive gear element of the R-442 (though you may need to slide the coupling side-to-side a bit to make it mesh -- just don't *turn* it.)

That's *usually* all they took out, but maybe take the top cover off the A1000 assy and see if all the little boards that install vertically are in there. Most times they are - sometimes all are missing - sometimes one is missing. These should also be available from the guys mentioned already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks