• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about a possible Alternative fuel.

EulaVFD#620

Ok I am an aircraft mechanic, I have access to alot of used Mil-H-5606 hydraulic fluid, provided I filter the heck out of it, is it possible to use this as a fuel for a Deuce? If not, why? I am just currious, and wish to know more about these engines and what they will run on.

620 Out

colomil

I worked with 5606 and 83282 when I was in the USAF and I believe some of these fluids had fire-suppresant additives. Look up the MSDS on the 5606 to be certain.

jimm1009

fuels

I'm and A&P / IA not that that has anything to do with your question.
I have burned waste 5606 too but I always mix it with deisel or waste Jet A.
I beleive that it does have some flame retardents added but that I will also have too look up. Perhaps AC43.13-1B has that now. Anything will burn with enough heat but I use a lot of waste turbine oil, waste engine oil (recip), and waste jet A. I always filter it through a 10 micron / water filter and then I have been experimenting with some filter socks that I purchased from McMaster Carr. The reason for this is because of the bugs in the waste fuel and also because of the used oils and fluids going into the tank.
I figure that if it makes it past a 1 micron filter, it won't hurt the injectors or pump. I've also change all my truck fluids and diluted it and burned it as fuel too. I figure that DOT would jack up the jail and bury me underneath if they knew about all the non-taxed "fuel" going on thier road but......
Right now the fuel looks coal-black in my tank but all has been filtered through the 1-micorn filter in gravity flow so I figure there is nearly-zero solids getting through which is the main goal over chemical contamination of the pump.
The 5606 may not be the best thing and may attack the seals in our pumps but on the other hand it is petroleum based over Skydrol and other similar fluids which I myself would never consider for fuel.
Just my 1.2 cents worth.
Jim
jimm1009 :)

EulaVFD#620

I am also an A&P, but I work on the commercial side of the house, I can get my hands on a almost limitless supply of used 5606 when I get a deuce, I was just wondering since it was petroleum based will it function ok as a fuel, I totally forgot that you might need to check your o-rings and seals in the fuel system. I also work around skydrol which is phosphate ester based......which I, like you, would Never consider using as a fuel as it has an exceptionally high flash point, and will even eat the seals and orings that are designed to handle it.
I found a MSDS for it online, at HYDRAULIC FLUID,PETROLEUM BASE

All I know how to read on these things is firefighting measures, and what to do incase of emergency/spill.

happy reading ya'll.... have a great day
620 out

Chinookpilot77

Chinook test pilot here....

83282 is the flame retardant oil...it is the recommended oil in our flight control hydraulic system...however...

5606 is what we use because the 83282 is HARD to come by for some reason...and the -10 makes for that allowance.

I have not seen it written anywhere, however, our "caution" range is from 95-120C...because from what I've been told the flash point of 5606 is actually quite low...190C

(and I just looked up the msds and it says 182C)

This makes me believe that 5606 would be perfect for running in a multifuel, provided your supply isn't dumping 83282 into the same waste container.

But, I'll be trying to collect all of our fuel samples along with this stuff...jp-8 and hydraulic oil should be a perfect mix!!!!

airmech3839

just dumped 5gal of 5606 in the tank....I too am an A&P on the Biz Aviation side....I mixed a gallon of MEK with it to help thin it out in case.....I am already burning WMO.....could get 5606 easier than Jet A.....tight wads here don't want to let me have the comingled..... I will post up if I have any issues....

airmech3839

well I put the 5gallons in on top of a WMO and trans fluid mix.....which brought th total up to maybe a 50/50 ratio of 5606 to WMO mix with a 1 gal additive of MEK to help....I drove the 18miles home from work with no problems....we will see how she does on the way back tomorrow....

to be continued............:D

emr

Only one has a fire retardent additive, it is the one used in track vehicles, and is also a little dangerous to the individual using it, I can not think of it right now, but do not believe it is that handy to get...

stumps

very interested...my buddies at work think theres no way that a engine can run on straight WMO...
Sounds like they need an introduction to the MAN cycle MF engine. If you do a google search on: popular mechanics and multi fuel, you should come up with an old article that describes the deuce engine.

-Chuck

shannondeese

I am using 83282 in my Deuce and she runs fine. 83282 does have the flame resistant additives but mixed about 25 WMO and 25 Deisel/JP8. She runs great. So good infact that I am also using the same mix in my 92 F350 with a 7.3 IDI. In the morning it takes a little longer on the starter to get it to fire but once up and running she runs great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks